Found my gem of a srx440-1981

mrviper700

VIP Lifetime Member
I just snagged a really nice srx440, 1981 ,off ebay, looks like I need the rubber ski loop pads if anyone might have a source to get them from?

anyone know of websites or sources for parts if needed for this dinosaur?

Also interested in old snowmobile magazine articles and test of 81 srx440

Last edited:

heres a few pics as I got it, unrestored, its all original. It will get fully restored and then played with at vintage shows. got all the original paper work, manuals, service manuals and cover! I had to buy the pair of sleds to get it, it came with the nice ss440 I am going to resell.

sounds like you got a great deal. i would still like to find a mint 433 exciter. i miss the 79 that i had. that 440 ss is a nice sled as well.

TOMSEAL6, NO SUCH A SLED AS A 433 EXCITER. I BELIEVE YOU MEAN 440 EXCITER. DON, NICE, I SAW THOSE. I BELIEVE HE SAID 81 HAD BAD PISTON. 3:16 (tony)

Glad to see you found what you were looking for.Your old black srx is doing great sept for the lack of snow, started to work on my 81 srx two weeks ago. Look's like you have alot more start with. :yam:

Tony: came with 2 new pistons, stator assembly, seals,bearings etc in a box...lol.

Anyone know where I could get the ski loop rubber pads? only parts its missing

srxmiller: Glad to hear old vader srx is still doin good....I miss that sled, it always treated me good. Take care of the old girl.......

This 81 srx is gonna be a super easy restore, thats just mud on it in the pics, I couldnt believe it still has all the oem decals all over the place and original windshield, hood and side panels with no dents, damage, this sled is gonna be fun to do. Took about 3 years looking to find this one and it was very close to my Home....lol

Last edited:
Yammiegod. You are right and wrong the Exciter (fans) were called a 440, but they were 433cc reed engines. Awsome sled for thier time. Brad

BUT THEY WERE NOT CALLED 433 EXCITERS. THATS MY POINT. DON, WHAT ARE YA GONNA DO WITH THAT SS440. , FRIEND OF MINE MIGHT WANT IT. 3:16 (tony)

Gonna resell the ss440, dont know how much yet, but always open to offers.

I am gonna clean it up a bit, paint the pipe, go over it lightly and then sell it here in a week or 2, has the original owners manual and yamaha shop manual for it as well, pretty nice sled, not a 10 but pretty nice, has a few very minor flaws I have seen, the hood has a tiny crack at back corner,seat cover needs repaired at back seam, nothin too major, runs nice, overall looks very good. I was impressed the bellypan isnt dented up in it.

I THINK BUDDIE OF MINE WILL BE CONTACTING YOU. I BELIEVE HE SENT YA MESSAGE THROUGH E BAY ASK BUYER A QUESTION TOPIC. !! 3:16 (tony)

ss440 is for sale now

The ss440 is done, all cleaned up, checked over, everything works,new belt installed, cleaned clutch's, ready to ride, only 2 flaws on it are seat cover and minor hood crack at rear corner, only 1 inch long. I will have pics up tommarrow of it, its pretty nice all done up. Thing still has original tool kit in it with new ngk plugs and spare belt/holder on it yet. Runs like top!!

I did not know this till today but it has a aluminum skid instead of the steel skid the newer ones have, its a pretty light sled.

my email: dpizor@hotmail.com

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
TOMSEAL6, NO SUCH A SLED AS A 433 EXCITER. I BELIEVE YOU MEAN 440 EXCITER. DON, NICE, I SAW THOSE. I BELIEVE HE SAID 81 HAD BAD PISTON. 3:16 (tony)

they were called 440's but yes they were a true 433 the srx 440 is a 439 and i think the SS is a 437

Last edited:

Back