Difference between srx and vmax oil pumps

tyler440

Website
www.vintagevmax.com
Does anyone know if there is a difference between a 81 srx and vmax oil pump with a red dot? I had a (i dont know what year) vmax oil pump on my srx, the oil pump had remnents of red paint on it, but still the motor was smoking like the garage was on fire!.... This is the same srx that chuck (vmax540) is asking ?'s about.... ive decided that it must be getting way to much oil... and im putting the original 81 oil pump back on it... (the reason for the vmax one was that the cable for 81 ran to the carbs and not the throttle lever) with the 38's i had to run new vmax cables... ne ways i was wondering if the vmax oil pump with a red dot STILL pumped way too much oil for the 440... i havent had a chance to try it because, as anyone who has changed an oil pumps knows, it is really fun to try to get the mounting screws in and out, and some times you just have to walk away without getting it back together.....

DUDE, THAT WAS A UPDATE RIGHT FROM YAMAHA TOO SWITCH 81 SRX OIL PUMP OVER TO VMAX 540 IN 1983. YAMAHA WAS TRYING ANYTHING BY THAN TO KEEP THESE 81 SRX,s ALIVE. I WOULD NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. I,LL SEE IF I HAVE TECH UPDATE COPIE FOR YOU GUYS. 3:16 (tony)

honestly to save that crank, get rid of the oil pump and premix... you will be happyer in the end when you dont have to search for a hard to find crank... those 81 pumps were shit...

BM..

and how is premixing oil going to save a crank??... this sled has a oil injection kit that introduces the oil right at the intake flange by the way.... also i forgot to mention that the gas im using right now IS premixed 50:1 but i think there is still way too much smoke.... im talking enought smoke that you can barely see the motor at times....... i also think it is getting too much oil because the is actually a puddle under the muffler when im done.... i have the cable screwed all the way together(in) which from what i figure should be less oil that needed...

tyler440 said:
and how is premixing oil going to save a crank??... this sled has a oil injection kit that introduces the oil right at the intake flange by the way.... also i forgot to mention that the gas im using right now IS premixed 50:1 but i think there is still way too much smoke.... im talking enought smoke that you can barely see the motor at times....... i also think it is getting too much oil because the is actually a puddle under the muffler when im done.... i have the cable screwed all the way together(in) which from what i figure should be less oil that needed...
I lost 2 cranks due to no oil getting to my bearings on my 81 because the oil pumps were shit... 1 oil line would bleed back when the sled sat, which I didnt catch until the 3rd. rebuild... I eliminated the oil pump and started mixing my oil into the gas and my problems were solved... this way the crank bearings are garranteed to receive the oil... dont take a chance on those pumps, majority of them had problems with the oil injection... If you are mixing 50;1 and using the oil injection, the motor is receiving way to much oil, thats what you are seeing now... and this will cause a lean condition because you are replacing the feul with oil, becareful...

BM...

Back