Who's racing 440s here

MountainMax

Hey guys, just wondering what setups you guys are using if anyone is drag racing these old srx440's. I have Aaen race porting, Race Pipes, 42mm TMX taper bore carbs, 110 octane race fuel, 18/35 Titanium gears, 121x1" track, modified 76 aluminum suspension and all lightweight parts. But I can't keep the dam engine together, It goes ok, im getting 75mph at 660 feet on packed snow with no studs. and im 250 pounds. Please take a look at the pistons to C what you think>>>>>>

Attachments

• PistonsSRX (2) (Medium).JPG
    PistonsSRX (2) (Medium).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 11
  • UploadPistonsSRX (3) (Medium).JPG
    UploadPistonsSRX (3) (Medium).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 10
  • UploadPistonsSRX (Medium) (WinCE).jpg
    UploadPistonsSRX (Medium) (WinCE).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 148
  • UploadPistonsSRX (8) (Medium).JPG
    UploadPistonsSRX (8) (Medium).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010019 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    P1010019 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 15

WOW. DUDE,
Take those flats off that sled. They won't be legal in the vintage class anyway. What year cylinders? I run some good race porting with 44's bored to 45.5. I'll check my notes on the jetting. I'm using power jets also. Are you cooling it good enought. It looks like it got very hot or your cold seizing it. I'm also running aaen wild race pipes on my 77. I'll check later on the jet sizes. I had a 1000 pro stocker that was doing the same thing with 52 crank shop flat slides. After 500 feet they didn't flow the fuel. They looked just like your problem. Dean-o

Olav recommended me to use those tmx carbs, im running 410 mains and 35 pilots on her with synthetic race oil. Im not racing vintage class, im racing 600 Mod class with her, and I can almost beat the 700 mod sleds too, giving them a show, when i can keep it together. the temp guage is showing about 1/2 way up, im just using the rad for cooling and it's -20 degrees out so that's not an issue. It's not cold seisure either, as i warm it up good b4 racing and it never left any marks onthe intake side, only the exhaust.

I'm running 500 main jets with the power jets opened 3/4 of a turn. 55 pilots. This is with 45.5 round slides. Winter 20-30degs. Try riching it up on the mains. I would start with 520's. On my 440 mod it likes a lot of fuel. When the orginal owner had it he ran smaller and smaller jets and it made no deference. This was feild testing. Never had the balls to put it on the dyno. Runs 10,500 all day. Good luck. Dean-o

LIKE DEAN SAYS RICH,IN MAINS WAY UP OR UP OCTANE. NEVER EVER USED POWER JET CARBS ON ANY OF MY SRX,s IN THE DAY FOR RACING. I WOULD BLOCK OFF POWER JET AND RUN FIXED MAIN WITH REAL GOOD RACE GAS. NEVER BURNED BECAUSE I WAS TO LEAN. COLD SIEZED MY 81 SRX ONCE BUT THAT WAS MY FAULT!!! 3:16 (tony)

I can get 114 octane from the Arctic Scrap Dealer, and I jetted up from 410 to 420 and upped the pilots from 30 to 35, dropped the clip and I will use more oil with higher octane fuel and see what hapens......

Tony,
Your right about the fuel. I didn't even think of that. I always ran 114 or 114+ VP fuel. That could be a lot of the problem here. Dude, Order it online. They will deliver it to your door step. Cheaper then rebuilding the top end again. What's the squeesh on the heads?

DUDE, THIS FUEL WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR PROBLEM, ONE THING TO REMEBER THOUGH!! VP C-14 SUPER HIGH OCTANE FUELS MAY GIVE YA STARTING PROBLEMS IN SEVERE COLD WEATHER. GET YOURSELF A SMALL BOTTLE OF 87 OCTANE PUMP GAS AND JUST ADD AFEW DROPS IN YOUR CYLINDERS THROUGH SPARK PLUG HOLES WHEN YOUR IN EXTREME COLD CONDITIONS. !! 3:16 (tony)

Yeah, I came across that problem already, when i tried to race last week i pulled the thing over a million times and it wouldn't start, i Primed it and it still was hard to start. thanks for the tip......

Back