How can i tell if i have chrome bore or Nickasil cylinders?

MountainMax

I have a change to buy a set of reconditioned SRX440 cylinders and they are not sleeved, So they could be two coatings, Chrome bore or Nickasil, how can i tell the difference, I need to know as I am going to get rings to make them work, and they both take different types of rings. How can I tell????????

DUDE, NICKASIL WAS STOCK AND TOOK SEPRATE RING. RECHROMEING USUALLY HAPPENS AFTER BAD BURN DOWN. THAN MOST WENT TO WISECO AND THAN YOU HAD TO ALSO USE THEIR RING. I DO REMEBER NICASIL CYLINDERS REAL HAD GREAT SHINE TO THEM. RECHROMEING WILL LOOK FADED !! 3:16 (tony)

Yami god, sorry to disagree, this is from my SRX manual, it clearly states stock cylinders are Chrome Bore!

Attachments

• img002 (Large).jpg
    img002 (Large).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
DUDE, SAME TERM. THAT SHINY CHROME LOOK IS NICASIL. SEE THIS BECAME PRETTY COMMON IN MID SEVENTIES. WAS A BETTER WAY FOR COOLING AND EXPANSION. AFTER BAD BURN DOWNS, SOME GET RECHROMEING OR NEW PLATEING. OTHERS GET RESLEVED. THATS WHEN YOU CAN,T RUN NOS PISTON OR RING. MOST THAN GO TO WIESECO. SORRY IF I EXPLAINED POST WRONG UP ABOVE. !! 3:16 (tony)

Im just trying to find out what rings to use as i can buy a set of redone cylinders and wiseco lists different rings for chrome and nickasil and steel sleeves.... I need to know what it is so i can get the proper ring.

MY GUESS IS YOU CAN USE SAME RING IN CHROME AND OR NICASIL/ REPLATEING. YOU CAN NOT USE THIS RING IN RESLEVEING. CONFUSEING !! 3:16 (tony)

chrome bore is the first generation of platings, the nickasil was not used till later after the srx440's. Around 1983 is when it was really starting to be used by big manufactures like Yamaha,Honda, Kawasawki, etc. lots of motor cycle 2 strokes devloped this and it trickled into sled motors. Nickasil is not shinylike a old chrome bore is, once it has been run it does get a little sheen to it, but nothing like the chrome bore of the original cylinders, unless you have had the chrome plating removed and the cylinders redone in nickasil, you need the rings for the chrome bore. The nickasil was designed because the chrome plating just didnt hold up well enough had lots of flaking/chipping due to adhesion problems to the cylinder and expansion rates.The nickasil transfers even more heat at a quicker rate then chrome, and its much stronger, at a thinner flashing of material to the cylinder.

IF YOUR CYLINDERS ARE GETTING DONE LIKE ORIGINAL, YOU CAN USE NOS PISTON AND RING IF YOU WANTED FOR THAT MATTER, OR OTHER SPECIFIED BY WIESCO. ONLY CURVE BALL FOR YOU IS IF YOU WRE GETTING THESE RESLEVED. THAN YOU WOULD NOT HAVE A CHOICE!! 3:16 (tony)

well these are not resleeved but i thought chrome bore and nickasyl had different rings, This is still confusing , lol. I know it's stock bore size, and it is not resleeved.

DUDE, GET THEM DONE AND RUN A NOS PISTON AND RING. YOU WILL BE FINE. I NEVER RAN WISECO PISTONS IN ANY OF MY SRX MOTORS. STOCK PISTONS WITH CHROME BORE OR NICSAL NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. SEE WHAT HAPPENS IS SOME HAVE SUCH SEVERE BURN DOWNS THEY CAN,T GET THEM REPLATED. ONLY CHOICE THAN IS RESLEVEING, THAN YOU HAVE TO GO TO WISECO. IN SOME CASES , SLEVES ARE OVERBORED. SO YOUR ACTUALLY BIGGER THAN 439 cc. YEARS AGO THIS WAS ACTUALLY LEGAL FOR ISR DRAG RACING UNDER 500 cc. 3:16 (tony)

I went and looked at my wiseco piston catalogs and there is no part number for a ring for nikasil cylinders in a srx440, they dont make one, its for chrome bore or cast iron sleeves only.

the std bore piston part number is: 2282M06850, (old part number 2282PS)

rings-2697CSM

the "m" on the ring part number means phosphate coated, it helps the ring seat to the chrome inside the cylinder, when they are sleeved cylinders they dont use phosphate coated rings anymore, they use the std ferrox coating, its no where near as aggressive.

wouldnt it be alot more easy to just call the plater and see what was done?????, if they are nikasiled, your screwd, because none makes a ring to go to std bore that way, you have chrome only for std bore and oversizes take the ring that works with cast iron sleeves or nikasil.

Does anybody replate with chrome anymore? I didn't think so - thought that they all did Nikasil these days.

I don't know if this will help or not but here are a few pics of the cylinders i just bought.

Attachments

• P1010048 (Medium).JPG
    P1010048 (Medium).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010049 (Medium).JPG
    P1010049 (Medium).JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010052 (Medium).JPG
    P1010052 (Medium).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 5

Back