1979 Exciter 440 ?'s

vrod

I have a chance to buy a 79 Exciter 440. Can anyone tell me what the sled was mostly used for? (trail riding, etc) Where they a decent sled for their time? Price, if sled is in great shape? The lady told me she will hold the sled but not long. I would just like to find out a little about the history of the sled.
Thanks a lot!
Doug

vrod said:
I have a chance to buy a 79 Exciter 440. Can anyone tell me what the sled was mostly used for? (trail riding, etc) Where they a decent sled for their time? Price, if sled is in great shape? The lady told me she will hold the sled but not long. I would just like to find out a little about the history of the sled.
Thanks a lot!
Doug

Yes they were a great relyable sled..bullet proof motor..very fast for the year
rear skid a little hard on the back if not seviced in awile

if it's in nice shape $500-700 bucks

What's she want for it?????

79 Exciter

The exciters are alot of fun to play around on. We have a couple, one is for vintage racing and another general playing around.

Thanks guys. She would like to have $300.00 for it.

Daman - I see you have a 98 XTC. Just a quick question - My wife and I bought new Yamahas back in 97 A SX 600 and a XTC 600. We sold them to a guy at work. He just sold it to one of my friends and he is having a slight problem (hopefully) It only has around 700 miles on it. When he just starts it up, it just sort of bogs out on the start. If he lets it warm up for about 5 minutes it is a lot better starting off. Any ideas?
Thanks!

vrod said:
Thanks guys. She would like to have $300.00 for it.

Daman - I see you have a 98 XTC. Just a quick question - My wife and I bought new Yamahas back in 97 A SX 600 and a XTC 600. We sold them to a guy at work. He just sold it to one of my friends and he is having a slight problem (hopefully) It only has around 700 miles on it. When he just starts it up, it just sort of bogs out on the start. If he lets it warm up for about 5 minutes it is a lot better starting off. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Yea just like any motor you need to let it warm up a little.

on my liquid sleds i ALWAYS let them warm up 5-10min. it's very
important to let a liquid sled warm up and not to just start it and try to
take off... it will bog down,,plus it's not good on the motor. ;)!

Hope this helped....could be dirty carbs too if letting it warm up don't help.

$300 is a good deal on the 440 too....

DOUG, ONE OF THE BEST SLEDS YAMAHA EVER MADE. THEY CALLED IT THE 440 EXCITER BUT IT WAS ACTUALLY 433 cc. THESE SLEDS FLEW. THEY WERE FAN COOLED AND SINGLE PIPE AND CARBED. THEY WERE SECOND IN YAMAHA LINE UP AND HAD SOME SIMILARTIES TO THE SRX. H.P. WAS IN MID 50,s !! NEAT THING HERE WAS SAM DECALS AS 1979 SRX ON HOOD. THEY ALSO WERE OIL INJECTED. I BELIEVE SUSPENSION WAS THE SAME AS SRX, POSSIBLEY SKIS, MAYBE TRACK, BUT THATS ABOUT IT. PREFIX ON CHASSIS WAS 8J6 ! 3:16

Back