anniversary R1

OZ

yes but...
I'm seriously considering buying one of these, ...does anybody know the production numbers for this model and how they differ from the non-anniversary model?

Attachments

• yami_50.jpg
    yami_50.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 11

Auskins said:
The only difference is paint...
Wrong.
Different swing arm, and head. If U can find an LE 1-500 ( big money ) U get some other nice stuff, lw rims and Ohlin suspension.

man someone didnt read when the magazines and brochures came out. lots of upgrades to the anni bike, v.s the stocker. but the close to 20k price tag steers alot of people away. sweet looking unit, too rich for my blood. i'll ride the 03 zx7r a few more years. ski

Attachments

• lt side small.jpg
    lt side small.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
That anniversary build is sweet....much more to it that cosmetic changes. I would love to buy one, just wouldnt be practical for my uses and its too damn expensive for a guy like me.

I think I have my choices narrowed down to either an fz1 or a Triumph S3.

Looks like the Canadian models are different than the American models, ...the Canadian YZF-R1 50th anniversary is $15,600 cdn. , however the Canadian YZF-R1 LE is very similar other than colour to the american 50th. anniversary model, ...similar pricing too $26k cdn. My interest is in the Canadian 50th model and according to the Canadian site pricing it's only a few hundred more than the base R1. Anyhoo will be checking out the dealers this week, ...time to replace the old Virago.

...love the looks of those old bonne's as well!

maybe i didnt read the brochures. LOL! yes, the LE version has the huge upgrades and the ginormous price tag on both sides of the border. ski

anni =just paint
le= paint,ohlins front and back.marsini rims,slipper clutch

if i were you i'd wait till next year since they will have new r1 out or buy a 04 or 05 and have the same as 06 and have a bunch of money left for goodies.either way the bike is awesome.fired mine up yesterday for a quick ride .

Junior said:
triumph is a sweet sweet machine, and will get some attention from those that actually know about bikes.

Its too bad they have to keep bumping up the displacement to compete.

meh, by SS rules it's still legal, I mean even the ducati 750 competes against the 600's.

besides, it's a completely different motor layout, and a completely different power curve (as it's intended to be) I don't see displacement as really being relevant.

could be 2000cc's and aslong as it had the same peak power numbers, weighed the same, got the same fuel consumption, etc, etc, etc, I wouldn't really care.

Junior said:
meh, by SS rules it's still legal, I mean even the ducati 750 competes against the 600's.

besides, it's a completely different motor layout, and a completely different power curve (as it's intended to be) I don't see displacement as really being relevant.

could be 2000cc's and aslong as it had the same peak power numbers, weighed the same, got the same fuel consumption, etc, etc, etc, I wouldn't really care.

If I had to accept less performance to be "different", count me out. Harleys in FX, 1200cc's and several seconds slower than the 600's. I get the whole aircooled vtwin thing, but seriously twice the displacement???

the Buell was a disaster, but in all seriosness I think the "average" guy could get the triumph around the track faster than most of the new 600s, same deal with the Ducati 750.

Junior said:
the Buell was a disaster, but in all seriosness I think the "average" guy could get the triumph around the track faster than most of the new 600s, same deal with the Ducati 750.

Depends on what U call average.

After much deliberation, ...I ended up buying an FJR1300 sport tourer, ...I pick it up next weekend (oh yeah!).

The R1 was getting complicated, ...insurance company wanted $1,000 per yr. plus I needed a full security system on the bike (another $500), ...and my significant other said she would never set foot on the back of this machine.

The FJR has a lot of followers, ...145hp. 100lbs torque, ABS and is overbuilt for durability.

Attachments

• 05FJR1300_BLU_4.jpg
    05FJR1300_BLU_4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Sweet bike, U will like it. My oldlady thought my 05R1 was allright untill the 80mph powerwheelie with her on the back. She didnt see the humor in that for some reason.

cacsrx1 said:
Sweet bike, U will like it. My oldlady thought my 05R1 was allright untill the 80mph powerwheelie with her on the back. She didnt see the humor in that for some reason.

hehehehe

ya, the FJR is a bike with a large following, alot of people really like that bike.

I don't like ABS on any sportbike or tourer. I prefer to have complete control over both front & rear brakes.

Rich is correct about the LE vs. 50th Anni

Honestly though for the price of the LE R1 I'd just rather buy a new one and put all the components on myself like the ohlins suspension, wheels etc. Funny thing is I don't believe the LE comes with an ohlins damper, some stock unit which is nuts considering it's got the shocks & fork, but oh well. Seriously it would be cheaper (not by alot though) to just do the upgrades yourself.

Now the Jamie James R1, that's a hefty price tag but it's built and tuned perfectly for you. Neither of the machines would be great for the track unless you have an unlimited budget. It's just a matter of WHEN you crash so you have to consider what you'll have to replace onces that happens. Still though, I have no problem with the ohlins whatsoever, a necessity in my book.

As for me I'm quite satisfied with my 05 Gix 1000. The slipper clutch (something you DON'T get with the anniversary r1) is quite nice. Very powerful but linear, seating position is just right "in the bike" and handles exceptionally even with stock suspenders. Gear indicator actually proved to be a nice touch even though I didn't think I was going to use it that much.

Yamaha is one sexy bitch however.

Obviously the fastest bike is the one with the best rider on it. A stock piece of crap, underpowered and ancient machine will hand you your *** with a good rider on it.

cacsrx1 said:

LMAO. I'm sure she didn't think it had that much power! ;):D I remember after that guy got caught in Minnesota for supposidly doing 205 MPH on his RC51. For like a month after that, my mom hated it when I rode my bike.

On a side note, I still don't believe that RC51 hit 205 MPH. :o|

Back