What is the best year for the Vmax 540?

Exciter570

Thinking about getting a Vmax 540 in the next few years and was wondering what was the best year for these sleds. I know usually there are alot of clutching and carb updates during the first couple years of production on sleds until Yammi finally figures out a good setup, so when did the factory adjustments slow down? I like the graphics on the earlier models 83-85 but would rather have the better factory tuned motor, which I assume was a later model.

CHRIS, 83 WERE SHARP BUT BIG TIME DETUNED. REMEBER YAMAHA WAS JUST COMING BACK INTO MUSCLE SLED ARENA AFTER 81 SRX NIGHT MARE AND NOT RELEASEING 82. 84/85 WERE THE BEST AND YAMAHA OFFERED PERFORMANCE FACTORY UPDATED PORTING TO GET SOME PERFORMANCE !! ALSO BEST LOOKING. 3:16 (tony)

Thanks Tony! I'm kinda approaching this like I did with the 800, learn about them and take my time finding one till I have the spare cash and till I find one that is cherry! They seem to be going for really reasonable prices, I just can't resist em, factory tuned twin pipes and looks to kill! Those '85 540's would probably give my twin piped Vmax 600 a run for its money, from what I've found they made nearly 90hp?? and they weighed a lot less than the 94-96 Vmax's.

mmmmmm hmmmmmmm if you never rode a vmax from this era your in for a big suprise.... you better get the "for sale" sign ready for that newer vmax.... hehehe just kidding but seriously you cant beat 'em

Ahh, I wouldn't sell the 600, it's a great sled too, and I think it would be able to handle the 540, especially with the GYT twins and clutch work that it's got done to it. But from what I've heard these old 540's were really something, I've seen a lot of them over the years but have never had the chance to ride one. I will have one, one of these days....

Tony, did you ever have one??

CHRIS, NOT A VMAX. DID HAVE THREE 81 SRX,s AND HAD A 1982 SRX ORDERED BUT YOU KNOW THAT STORIE. I ACTUALLY RAN MY 440 SRX,s RIGHT UP TO WHEN THE VMAX 4 800 CAME OUT. TELL YA THE TRUTH , I NEVER THOUGHT THE VMAX 540 WAS THAT FAST. EVEN SET- UP PROPERLY THEY COULD NOT BEAT A 440 SRX, REMEBER YOU HAD SAME HP AND ALOT MORE WEIGHT IN THE VMAX. THE THING THE VMAX DID HAVE WAS AWSOME LOOKS. THEY NO DOUBT WILL BE VERY DESIREABLE COLLECTORS SOME DAY !! 3:16 (tony)

I have (4) V-Max 540s (sort of). 2 complete 86 & 84, 2- 83s, but both are parts machines. I agree with Yammiegod, The SRX ( I have a 78) that has consistantly beaten a 2000 ZR 600 in 660 feet. The thing is that my 84 V-Max is much faster on top end. I have beat a 98 SX 600 on the lakes that are around a mile long. My only complaint about the V-Max is the suspension. I have riden hay wagons that were smoother. I love the attention I get when I pull into a place with my Max. Just my 2 cents

Yeah, the suspensions on the older sleds were terrible. But when I do get one it wouldn't be a sled that I would take out on long trips, probably just short hops here and there across the lakes and what not. I have my Vmax 600 for the long trips, it's set up well for it. Long travel skid and getting between 11-14 mpg depending on the temps. The 540 would just be a fun sled to have to turn some heads and look pretty in the collection.

Back