srx vs exciter

maxx0770

I know that this is probably a really dumb question... but i was wondering how much different the chassis/bulkhead were on the 78 and 79 exciters vs. srx's??? the reason that i ask is because the belly pan and bumpers seem identical. Jw

Also, anyone ever put a different motor in an exciter chassis (78) something liquid cooled to make a grass drag sled??? if so what did you use and do oyu have any pics? this is what planned on doing with the exciter that i have parted out and i would love to build a grass dragger out of the bulkhead and what i have left. THANKS :nos:

WELL LET ME ANSWER YA THIS WAY. 78/79 EXCITER AND 78/79 SRX WERE CLOSE BUT !! YES SAME BUMPERS, DEFFERENT BELLY PANS ONLY BECAUSE SRX HAD WINDOWS. EXCITERS DID NOT. CHASSIS IS THE SAME. SUSPENSION WAS THE SAME. TRACK I WOULD HAVE TO CHECK PART NUMBERS. BULK HEAD SAME. NOT A DUMB QUESTION AT ALL. 3:16 (tony)

Thank you, that is awesome. I am going to take my bare bulkhead, tunnel, and steering linkage and use them to make a grass drag sled. i am planning on slamming the hood down as low as possible and running a custom belly pan that is hopefully barely visible. I was thinking either old srx motor, vmax 540 motor, or a 570 exciter motor. i definately want liquid cooled though. any thoughts or input as to what would be best would be greatly appreciated. Thanks jeff

Jeff,
Check out the classes offered. I know I'm building a 440 vintage mod and a 340 vintage mod. If you use a different motor they might throw you in a open vintage mod class. Check out the rules first. I know there's a nice 78 on Ebay right now that Perry is selling. That would make a nice 440 Vintage stocker. Just becauful not to build somthing that won't be competative. I hate to see people upset when they go to the races and they won't let them race or they have race against a 230 hp rocket ship. It's happened to me and others way to many times. Good luck. I wish this site had spell check. Damn. Dean-o

DUDE, LIKE DEAN SAYS, GET A RULE BOOK OR TALK TO THE GUYS THAT ARE RUNNINGTHIS RACE ABOUT THE RULES.RIGHT NOW, WHAT YOUR EXPLAINING, YOU WILL BE IN A '' MOD '' CLASS . 3:16 (tony)

Exciter

Jeff,
This is all good advise.
My nephew has a 79 Exciter that he uses for strictly drag racing, he still has a bit of work to do but the thing flies and is pretty hard to beat on a short track. I you look at some of my posts you will find the pictures I have sent in. His main claim to fame is stripping every possible thing off the sled to make it light. He can run in 440 improved stock and has little competition, even if he runs in 600 improved he still does pretty good too. This past winter was his forst time on the ice and on a long track he got 86mph in 1000 feet. The trick is that he probably had 80mph in 400 feet which alot of liquid cooled sleds can not do as easily

Good luck

maxx0770 said:
Thank you, that is awesome. I am going to take my bare bulkhead, tunnel, and steering linkage and use them to make a grass drag sled. i am planning on slamming the hood down as low as possible and running a custom belly pan that is hopefully barely visible. I was thinking either old srx motor, vmax 540 motor, or a 570 exciter motor. i definately want liquid cooled though. any thoughts or input as to what would be best would be greatly appreciated. Thanks jeff

Thanks guys, the reason i have decided to do this is because i live in ohio and our winters are very weak. i dont think we have had a descent snowfall since 94... But, i love the sport and we travel to ride. Usually into penn to our cabin but still there is no local racing other than asphalt or grass drag. Which is why i have decided to switch to a liquid cooled machine. that is why i sold off most of my exciter stuff (including a great motor with twin carbs and a lot of other good stuff). But i still have the bulkhead, tunnel, and steering components, rear skid which i want to swap out and some other miscellanious parts. So that is why i am switching. Vmax, (thanks im sure we will get the stuff to you soon) and i did see the pics you posted and the sled was one of my insprations when i first bought the exciter. That thing looks awesome. But now, I would really like to find an older srx motor and throw it in there. Well thanks a lot and i will be checking around before i buy anything.

Yeah, now there's an idea!!! Basically it all boils down to if i cannot find an old srx motor than i will be looking for the best deal i can find. If it turns out to be an srx triple than so be it. but that might be kinda hard to fit under the hood....

I MAY HAVE EXACTLY WHAT YOU LOOKING FOR!! i have a freshly rebuilt 81 srx motor its very nice and i can send pictures to you if your interested... i live in nw pa so we could arrange a meeting spot and not have any shipping ....let me know what you think

yammiegod3:16, especially but anyone elses opinion is welcome too, my uncle has a 1981 srx. the motor is locked up and the mechanic he had working on it claims that the 81 had a lot of problems, and that parts are rare and hard to find. If anyone knows about this, please let me know. I believe that he needed sleeves for the cylinders and the mechanic said that they couldnt find any. Is this bogus stuff, or is the 81 engine really this bad?

i plan to post the pictures of my motor on www.vintagevmax.com as soon as i find them and get a page made for them... also be on the look out for new 85-90 vmax pictures that will make great computer backgrounds(thanks to inspiration from valin)... the motor im looking to sell has 16 miles on it by the way and 1/2 of them are on a jackstand

Back