Long tracking an 89 phazer

Sturgis Sledder

I am looking to longtrack an 89 Phazer, I have the skid and track (which I may trim the paddles down just a bit for clearance) from a 97 Summit going to 7" drivers. Will that bolt in with just moving the rear mount? Or would it just be easier to get extensions or just change the rails from the ski-doo skid onto the yamaha skid?

Last edited:

check with hartmann inc they can get everything you need but go with the phazer skid and extensions it would be lighter!!

that's a big ol track for a phazer but I'm the kind of mindset that says run it. It should tear up the hills. If you're going from 121 to 136 you need to set it back 7.5", that's quite a bit so I'd say get rails from an exciter (which I have if you want them) or get the extensions. If you can get away with the skidoo skid I'd use it, that skidoo is bound to have better suspension than the phazer did. See if you can mount it up it should be roughly the same width as your tunnel, you might have to shim it some with some washers but that's the route I'd go with since that's what you already have.

Keep in mind that seven tooth drivers are going to gear that sucker down, knock 30 mph off your top speed but majorly increase your bottom end power.

shoot, that's a small track. I guess if you wanted those extensions you'd still have to do a 2.5" setback. That's not too bad.

Actually it is more involved. It is my son's (9 he is going to learn all about motors and sleds firsthand) machine that he got for $50 with a motor that had a bent connecting rod. He and I disassembled the motor, had the crank checked for true, and new bearings installed (1 was cooked so replaced them all) and are in the process of reassembling the motor. After that we are tackling the track and skid. I have a 97 Summit that I bought a new skid for(stretched it to a 151"), so my old summit skid and and track (136 X 1.5") are going onto the phazer, should ride ALOT better also. I am going to take the measurements off of my Summit and use those for mounting onto the phazer. I just need to know that the track will clear with which drivers. At 80# he should be able to go up the side of a tree with this sled.

I just got finished pressing 7 tooth drivers on my driveshaft today. I can take a measurement and let you know what diameter they are. You're going to have to have someone press those on for you as there's no easy way of doing it without a shop press.

We are also going to drill the track with 3 holes each 1 1/8" (that's what I have on mine), that should also free up the track by making it somewhat lighter and easier to turn, as well as keeping it clean. We may put a big wheel kit on it to reduce the rolling friction even more.

I can offer a few sugestions for upgrades since I've just done this to my exciter.
I don't know that I would spend money on a big wheel kit. Especially since you're drilling the track and especially since you're using seven tooth drivers.
The drivers are small and so theory says there is more inherant friction in bending the track around the wheel. This is the whole reason for the big wheel kits. Since you're using seven tooth drivers you're already bending the track around a small wheel so you're not going to see a great difference by increasing an inch or two on the other wheel. On another note, I'm not entirely convinced smaller drivers or wheels rob hp all that much. From an engineering standpoint the only friction involved is that within the rubber compound itself bending. Any friction translated to the rotational forces of the track would be minimal at best. Further more, I ran a little test on my exciter (with a fish scale and the gear case removed) before and after swaping the drivers and found rotational forces to be about the same.

I'll throw up a writeup of a rear two wheel kit for ya, it sounds like you know what you're doing in the shop so you should be able to do this fairly easy. My moddifications are based on a mountain mod mind set but I'm sure what you're doing will be fairly similar. Less weight is less weight.

I bet that thing will rip.

Oh yeah, porting the track will greatly reduce the bending stresses imparted on the track by the smaller drivers.

Last edited:
If you have about 7" you can use what ever track you want. BUT that does not sound right, then again i can be wrong.

Back