Long tracking an 89 phazer

I think with a 7 tooth, 7" wheel that should give us enough clearance for the track. I do agree with your theory on the big wheel kit and will not put that on. This set-up should really be a fun machine for him to ride for a few years at least. When he puts some more weight on I may get an AAEN pipe for it (I have seen a sled with one of those and am a believer).

Why? The only real problem with my phazer is it is a little slow. You put that huge track in it all you'll do is slow it down more.

the 91 or 92 phazer also came with a 136x1x15 i think. Since that is were my rear skid came from on my 1987 Exciter. So it is OEM on some. I am able to get a 136x1.125x15 and still have 1/2" between the frt. heat exchanger with 9 tooth on it. I am looking at going to a 151x2x15 and 7 tooth drives, top speed is not my consern since I will be at 8000+ feet. All I want is not to sink in the deep and I know my HP is going to be cut in 1/2 at that alt.

8vo fan said:
Why? The only real problem with my phazer is it is a little slow. You put that huge track in it all you'll do is slow it down more.

Not necessarily true. Slower top end yes, but I'm sure he doesn't want his son doing mach 10 anyway, the smaller seven tooth drivers will gear it down sufficiently to pull the larger track and more. I think you'll find it's going to be quite a bit quicker than it was before (to a certain speed of course).

8vo fan said:

In a day that we go 40 miles we are on the trail for only 3 miles. We spend the rest of the time in waist deep (and deeper when lucky) snow and the trees. I would rather give up a fw MPH that he won't use, for the extra floatation that he will use and appreciate. There are 6 old school phazers in the group and all but 1 have been longtracked so keeping up will only be a problem if he gets stuck.

crew.JPG

crimsonride said:
that's sweet! I'd like to ride with a bunch of old sleds sometime

I'm guessing my 80# 9 year old will get as high on the hill as any of us "big boys" on new iron. Those old sleds in the right hands can flat get places.

nightmanx1 said:
the 91 or 92 phazer also came with a 136x1x15 i think. Since that is were my rear skid came from on my 1987 Exciter. So it is OEM on some. I am able to get a 136x1.125x15 and still have 1/2" between the frt. heat exchanger with 9 tooth on it. I am looking at going to a 151x2x15 and 7 tooth drives, top speed is not my consern since I will be at 8000+ feet. All I want is not to sink in the deep and I know my HP is going to be cut in 1/2 at that alt.

Did you get your 151 track on your exciter?
I have a 1987 exciter, engine rebuilt .10 over, has 7 tooth drivers and 133x1.5 on right now, have access to a 144 m10 suspension. I have a xtra-12 under it right now, but it looks like a stink bug (looks DUMB). I rode it around the yard(on grass) wow it goes good, can lift skis off the ground about 2 feet, It just looks out of balance, kinda like a rat rod or something... what you think about the 144, think i would have to gear down the chain case gears?

Back