Help with sled - what model?

vrod

This is a long story but I will make it short. My mother lives in Virginia and she knows I like older sleds and she saw this one at a house near her. The guy has no clue what model or year it is. I am not going to buy it but just really wanted to know what it is. Any ideas? She said this is the first snowmobile she saw since she lived here 21 years ago!
Thanks,
Doug

Attachments

• 100_0274.jpg
    100_0274.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 13

Here is another view

Attachments

• 100_0276.jpg
    100_0276.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 27
I believe its a 1969 Yamaha SL 351. I could be wrong, but if I am I'm not off by much. If I were you I would get this gem. The chassis and hood look to be in good condition. If you do get it and decide not to keep it I would love to add that to my collection. Brad

1969 SL 351. That is the proper 348 motor too. A friend of mine has a 9/10 Sno-jet Supersport with one of those motors. You don't find too many steel frame Yamahas in that kind of shape!!

1968 Sl 351

Yes that is a 1968 SL351. I have one in storage. The motor is a twin two stroke from a motorcycle adapted to a snowmobile. First oil injection sled of its time. I still have the original sales slip at home for a 1968 SL351 and a 1969 SW 396. I will see if I can post hem for you all. I am also interested in that sled for a restore project. Let me know if its for sale. Pat

I have no idea what he wants for it but he said to make an offer. If someone is serious about this, I may make the 8 hour trip to pick it up.
YammieGod - that is pretty incredible you can still get parts for these!
Doug

I just wanted to add, a few people on here do know me. I hope they chime in, just to let the few that are interested in the sled know that I am for real.
Thanks!
Doug

I would love to put this seld on my "projects" list. But being in Minnesota... the sled would cost me far to much to get up here. I would pay $200-$300 if it was local

monty,
I wish I could help you out on the shipping to your house but I don't know anyone that would do it for a cheap price.
Anyone else interested? I talked to my mother and she said she will help anyway she can on making an offer to the guy.

Doug

I just wanted to put a couple more pictures that my mom just sent today. She went and took some pictures under the hood and 1 of the belly pan. (not to bad for not really knowing what to take a picture of!! Thanks MOM!!!)
She never been into a forum and I sent her a link to this, so she could see how a forum works. (by the way, you didn't need to have the flower under the belly pan. It looks good enough! LOL)
Doug

Attachments

• 100_0280.jpg
    100_0280.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 4
Another picture - she said the leaves are free with the sled!

Attachments

• 100_0282.jpg
    100_0282.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 4
Belly pan picture - with the flower LOL

Attachments

• 100_0283.jpg
    100_0283.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3

Back