Electric Start SRX 440?

ejcamaro

Life Member
Website
www.myspace.com
This may be a dumb question, but I have a 78 or 79 SRX 440 motor that runs that I would like to put into an older yamaha golf cart. The only thing holding me back is not wanting to get off and pull start it. Has anyone ever heard of electric start on these?

No on the electric start, plus wouldnt be a very good engine for a golfcart anyways, its way to peaky on power, youd have to engage it rather high to even get it moving, those srx440 engines dont have any low end period. A engine that would be alot better would be a 440 exciter engine or a ss440 engine, alot wider powerband and fan cooled. They made electric start in the enticer chassis.

electric start

Hi Eric..
sent you an email ....
I have a electric start 73 EW433 engine , out of frame ,ran ok
when I tried to may a EW643 out of it ,,,noticed bolt pattern was
incorrect for hydraulic unit too late ,,,so I left it apart ...
Monty has added electric start to machines that came without
but did you want to stuff the SRX in for fun or to use as a cart ??
It would be a heck of a ride !! old ezgo carts used a detuned
Kohler 295ax twin with a reversible belt genator and a slotted stator
to bring the points over centre for reverse ...neat idea ,,,but I expect
your cart has a reverse gear ....Don't get any ideas about the PR either .
Probably would be difficult to mount unit and the cart would need
additional brakes as well . the unit brake is too small to hold a machine
that rolls easy on wheels .
ps ..this engine could probably use points and carb work as well but
was working OK a 1 1/2 year ago
See you in July ....RON

Nope, PR440 is staying intact for you Ron. Hmmmm, what to do.......... I'd really like a blue Yamaha golf cart with SRX 440 decals on the hood, but it may not work. How do they get the 250 single cylinder to run in reverse? I know the electric motor spins it in reverse, but there must be something in the ignition that changes too????? I brought it home tonight and will take some pictures of it in the morning. Send me some ideas please.

Check this link out, some neat reverse 2 stroke stories.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62163

As far as power of the SRX 440, I'm sure it has more down low than this "weezer" 250 in it now, the thing barely moves at first. After you get moving it comes to life and does (I'm guessing) around 15mph.

Here's another link thats pretty funny, keep in mind it doesn't have to run perfect in reverse, just good enough to back up.
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=93155&page=1&pp=10

Last edited:
Eric
I have a 338 enticer motor that is not doing anything but sitting on the shelf. Bought it for the stepson to take apart and play with........
Also am trying to sell my GP433 that I put electric start on....there's an option!

easygo ,,,from my old memory .....shifter in dash had a rod into flywheel
cover and fastened to stator plate ...plate was installed on slots that
limited the movement of the stator ....had some type of interlock to
reversible key switch so you couldnt move stator w/o stopping engine first.
I set a kids points on a yamaha 80 mini enduro once , a little to close ...
He kick started it and it caught on last rev of engine ....gave it the gas
dropped the clutch and shot him and the bike backwards onto the ground with the handlebars across his legs . I apologised and started to reset the points and he refused ....He found if he bump started it backwards , it
would run everytime but it took a while to master riding a bike in reverse .
RON

Back