Yamaha GYT twin pipes for 600 V-max

When I was in the market for these pipes, the guy's are Maxx performance talked me out of them since I already had the larger 96 factory single pipe.
From maxx performance; "The amount of power you will gain at the top end is not worth the amount time and effort you will spend time trying to get the clutch and carbs tuned and retuned for the low and midrange, if you want to ride not wrench, keep the larger single stock pipe".
At the same time if you are going to be racing drags, the twin pipes work best on the 600.
My $.02

INLINE4 look for a set of DG twins, psi twins, or aaen twins

those pipes will give the vmax some balls. Single is good for bottom end but has no topend power.....that is why i am getting twins this summer

It's going to be a straightline 660' sled...No trails..I always heard about that midrange stuff but I'am going wide open....

Ok, here's the deal. The GYT twins in my experience are a great set of pipes. I installed a set on my 95 600 last fall and rode it all winter. It was really frustrating to get it properly tuned, but I finally did and it's a beast compared to what it was with the single stock pipe. I found that the adjustment needed to be made in the needle position, in warmer temps the sled would be down right boggy and suck fuel like no tomorrow, I raised the needle clip 1.5 positions and it runs fine in all conditions now. Clutching wasn't an issue, Yamaha has the updates for what the clutching specs should be, it took Yami a lil while to get the tuning for these pipes figured out, but they did. You will need the following parts to swap to the GYTs,... 2 Q-8 nozzle jets and a PPP primary spring. Jets vary depending on your alt. If you do a search for GYT pipes on the site there should be some posts with the updated tuning specs from Yami. Once I got the pipes tuned properly I noticed quite a gain in acceleration, there was a small gain in top end, but nothing crazy. If you're going to be using the sled strickly for racing then tuning shouldn't be an issue for you. I bought my GYT's for $200 BRAND NEW in the box from a Yamaha dealer in the spring of 2005. Get the GYTs, they make more power and plus they just look alot cooler under the hood than a single! ;)!

Attachments

• stable3.JPG
    stable3.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 38
Nice pic...Where are ya in Old Forge...I might be going up there the weekend of July 8th & 9th...

My family has a place off of Hollywood Hills Rd. very close to the 1st lake beach and trail 4, as a matter of fact, that's first lake in the background of my avatar. I'm heading up there the weekend of July 4. What's going on up there the weekend of the 8th, anything fun?

Exciter570 said:
My family has a place off of Hollywood Hills Rd. very close to the 1st lake beach and trail 4, as a matter of fact, that's first lake in the background of my avatar. I'm heading up there the weekend of July 4. What's going on up there the weekend of the 8th, anything fun?
Picking up a friens Mach Z at Old Forge Power Sports..(Smith's Marine) Then going to Mike Hill's race at Cicero Sunday..

It made quite a difference in the sound, but not overly loud at all. Its got a nice rasp to it but when you're riding at normal trail/lake speeds it's not as noticable. The pipes go into a silencer can and not individual stingers, so they aren't nearly as loud as some of their counterpart twin pipes. I wish I had a sound clip for you guys.

Hey Sam Jackson....Why did you let off before that jump...???Hold it wide open !!!

INLINE4, I have a set of those pipes down in my basement. Let me know if you would like them, i can bring them to the race at ESTA on July 8th/9th. I tried these pipes on my 96 vmaxXT 600. Very little use on these pipes...
$150 and they are yours... Send me a PM or call me on my cell: 585-737-1800 if you are interested.

Thanks,
--Buster696--

Last edited:
Where the heck were you when I was looking for a set back in '05! I grew up in Webster and my folks still live there and I'm now in Buffalo, woulda been much easier getting them from you than what I went through getting them on ebay. lol

Buster696 said:
INLINE4, I have a set of those pipes down in my basement. Let me know if you would like them, i can bring them to the race at ESTA on July 8th/9th. I tried these pipes on my 96 vmaxXT 600. Very little use on these pipes...
$150 and they are yours... Send me a PM or call me on my cell: 585-737-1800 if you are interested.

Thanks,
--Buster696--

I'm installing a set of gyt twins on my vmax 600. So what is the recommended needle height? Also what clutch specs should I use? Since its a 94 my helix and primary are different than 95-96. Any ideas?

Back