Looking for SRX Balancing Flywheel

i have the counter weight wheel and the spacer. i believe Yamaha called this the "trail kit" ???
i don't want to part with it though, sorry.

SNOPRO, YOUR CORECT. I CAN REMEBER YAMAHA RECALLED MY 1979 SRX FOR THIS UPDATE. WAS TO SUPPOSE TOO HELP CLUTCH AND CRANKSHAFT LIFE. MY 1979 SRX STILL HAS THIS ON IT TO THIS DAY !! 3:16 (tony)

LOL, I had one of those kits in the original packet with all yamaha instructions and hardware, and even put it on ebay, none even bid on it, just recently sold it.........never fails someone would need one now.

IF YOU HAVE NO LUCK FINDING ONE CALL THIS DEALER HERE IN NY. THE BEEN YAMAHA DEALER SINSE 1968 AND HAVE TONS OF OLD PARTS LEFT. STONES - SNO SLED. IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU HAD PART #. I DO IF TA NEED IT. 1-315-483-4329 !! 3:16 (tony)

If the clutches are not shaking apart – then you really shouldn’t need one. When we switched the heavy flywheel to a TZ rotor we did have some clutch problems. We used Cat clutches – much lighter at the time as well. :dunno:

We had the crank assembly harmonically “hit” to determine the approximate weight we needed.

The heavy weight was also a good trick for early flat track dirt racers – they used it to smooth out the “instant on” of the engine.

You should be able to get away with making one from a piece of steel ¼” to 3/8” plate x the diameter of the bolt holes. It would need to be indexed on a lathe to get it perfect.

Maybe someone could send you a photo to get an idea of what it looks like. :whine:

Is this balancing plate there just to slow the engine acceleration for the trail rider?
Would it be better for oval racing to just leave it off?

Machster

The balance may have been off on some sleds. If the clutch is not falling apart - then you don't need it. If the clutch is having problems, the crank may be in the same boat.

In addition - other than, balance vibration, it will smooth out the power band - but if there is no problem - it is of no use.

Dirt track bikes would use one to get smooth power to the wheel - for example.

Back