Just bought an '02 viper

First Yammy

I am new to the world of yamaha, and relatively new to sledding (last machine was a indy 400) and have just bought an '02 SX Viper 700. The sled has 4300 mi. but is in excellent condition, as far as I can tell. I ride dirt bikes and 4 wheelers pretty hard, and I can't see it changing with this sled. The previous owner was very particular with it, but I'm wondering if he may have neglected some maintenace steps due to the fact that he had a new sled ordered. If you guys could give me some pointers on what to look for and maybe some small tunning tips ( as I have no more money, this year anyway, for big bolt on mods) it would be greatly appreciated.

It's a great sled, you'll love it. Post a picture. Here's my 2002 now with over 10,000 miles, engine untouched other than maintainence. Going to do the seals pistons & rings this fall.

Attachments

• 10K 2002 Viper.JPG
    10K 2002 Viper.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 15
:wel: From a fellow Canadian!

If you haven't been through the tech section of TY(I think I have a link in my sig), you should. Lots of reading to keep you busy for awhile.

This site and forum are, bar none, the best on the net. It's the first and only, at this point, forum that I support with membership. I like to equate it with a magazine subscription, but instead of getting something once a month, I get new posts every day.
Anyway, I'm not trying to push membership, just trying to relate how I feel TY has helped in my enjoyment of the sport.

congrats on the 1st yammi. vipers are great sleds. 6000+ on mine and motor untouched. just regular maintenance. might want to check your rear skid, idlers, grease the fittings, push the water out if there is any.

i thought renfrew sounded familiar. i listen to 106.9 the bear everyday and i've heard them mention renfrew. welcome to ty

Congrat's.....

I have owned 10 yamadog's and my last 2 stroke was and still is a viper...great sled for sure. You will enjoy this sled......I purchased a apex..almost didnt because i liked my viper so much i could not trade it in.... :dunno:

If you are mechanical at all,and I mean no disrespect some people dont do their own maintanance,you should yank out the rear skid and go over all the pivot points for worn bushings.I could almost bet that the W-arm bushings are worn out as they dont last very long without regular lubing,but check all of them from the shocks to wherever there's a pivot and add grease fittings to any place you can.
If it's in your budget get the shocks redone and set to your weight it'll make the ride so much better.
I'm sure someone else will come up with more advise for ya.Enjoy a great sled.

Actually the guy I bought it from tore the rear skid out after the second season and redid all the bushings, and while he did this he drilled /tapped extra zerk fittings were there were none before. Nonetheless I do plan on giving the rear skid an overhaul and the shocks. What gains do you get from the 4th rear idler kit??

CREWCHIEF47 I see in your pictures that your sled lift's back lifting points are pivoting, and I see that in the schematic for the lift on this site, why are they not just stationary, and what advatage does it give you ??

First Yammy said:
CREWCHIEF47 I see in your pictures that your sled lift's back lifting points are pivoting, and I see that in the schematic for the lift on this site, why are they not just stationary, and what advatage does it give you ??

I used the plans from here with changes to account for the different size steel tube I had. The back pads could be adjusted a little on my father's Vector just to get them to sit flat on the coolers(bottom of the running board), instead of on an edge. That's the only advantage to date. I don't move them because his is only up a couple times a season, mine usually stays on the lift for days/weeks(only so I can tinker when I feel like it). This lift is one of the top ten best things I've ever done to/for my sled. There's nothing like tinkering while standing instead of being hunched over. I put a board across the back and use it for my 86 TRX 250R as well.

PS: If you plan on removing the rear skid, I suggest removing it BEFORE putting it up on the lift, it's not easy to get out when the lift arms are in the way(hindsight is 20/20). ;)!

Last edited:

Back