Totally Pissed Off!

So if I'm understanding you correctly you've been charged with failing to stop for police, defended yourself, and the charges were thrown out because you played dumb.

I'd like to see some numbers, but I'm willing to bet that the province of Ontario spends about as much as Michigan does to keep it's trails.

The price is higher north of the border, simply because there are far fewer sledders to support the trails. Michigan has a couple hundred thousand registered sleds!

Ski, I don't say this to offend in any way, but I was dissapointed with the condition of the trails on both our trips last year. While the scenery is second to none, the snow is truly wonderful, and you don't find trails like that in Michigan, the grooming was certainly lacking.

I understant that when a groomer breaks down, there's about 1 guy in town who can fix it, and has to wait for a couple weeks for parts, but we had crappy trails for BOTH our rides, and they were a few weeks apart at that. So, I don't see how I can spend $1000 per trip in Ontario plus th permit, to see beautiful country via poorly groomed trails.

We will be paring down our sledding this year anyway, but it'll be a while before I entertain another Ontario trip. Honestly, there's great riding in Michigan, it's been a long time since I rode in mud, and it was march then anyway!

By the way, we've got about $22000 into our whole truck and trailer, considering what we paid for our used Jeep and new sleds a few years ago. It's a myth that a new vehicle is 'better' in the long run, sledders can certainly get off cheaper than upwards of $60,000! Yikes!

Wreck, I know what you're saying about our trail appropriations. You can thank your Governer Granholm for bottling up the trail fund money last year! While she can't by law use the money from trail permits, and the small percentage of the gas tax that goes to the trail fun, she waited to sign the checks that would allow clubs to buy gas for groomers! She waited, and still has yet to do it actually.

We've never had this much money in the fund, the trail permit hike is exactly what we needed, but the Gov is, after all, a Democrat with her own agenda.

If you want to learn how to make a difference, join the Michigan Snowmobile Assc. Even more proactive is Americans for Responsible Recreation Acces, who practically live in Washington DC and fight for us all.

The police and the courts must be totally incompetent around there. They don't even know the correct penalties.

I wouldn't want to test their competence where I live.

john, i understand your point of view, but to say the trails were crappy???? C'MON! albiet they were far from the best i've seen up there. we had great riding on and off trail. out of the 15 or so on the first ride and the 35+ on the second, YOU are the only one that complained. many people on both of those rides commented before, during, and after how much better it was up there then riding in michigan with all the crowds. and to say you spent up to 1000.00 to go on each of your trips, WELL, even taking both my girls i have never spent over 600.00 to be up there for a whole week. as for the myth of newer vehicles out performing older ones well, again YOU found that out being the only broken down tow vehicle that had to be towed to warm up and start. remeber people in glass houses.... ski

Gosh, paint that picture and I'm a whiny jerk.

We actually did spend a grand on the couples trip. Gas for the sleds and truck were much more expensive than in the states, and food was too. We didn't plan on hauling makings for meals with us, as our hotel rooms didn't allow for cooking. I know you do and that's great. It works for you.

If you would have asked during the guys ride, you'd have learned that Toyotas come with red antifreeze, and the PO put some green stuff in there, resulting in coolant not fit to sneeze at. It thawed out in town, and was fine, it ran perfectly. On the couples ride, that old $3000 truck started great after 4 days of sitting in -30* weather, while some 'new' trucks needed jumps and special attention.

Some of the trails up there were perfectly groomed! They were the loops off to the east that we did, and we enjoyed them very much. The trails from Wawa to Hornepayne were the punishing ones, and again, it was because of groomer problems. This was our experience, and not average.

I guess you didn't hear the others in our group complaining of the trail conditions, that's ok, single me out. I can take it.

If you ask Christy, she'll tell you of the fun we had, and of the sum of her single experience in Ontario. While some trails were perfect, and the snow was deep, some trails punished her, and she'll tell you that it's not worth it for her.

I highly encourage anyone interested in riding up there, to plan a trip with Skidooboy and Lynne. They're great hosts and guides! The Canadian bush is truely awe inspiring, and humbles you. You also realize how important safety is when you're 50 miles from anywhere and it's -15*...

Honestly Ski, I cherish the memories we made on those 2 trips. I'm not spoiled though, and I know I can have as much fun with TY folks in Michigan.

I think you might be taking my criticism of the grooming a little too personal friend. Don't sweat it, you said yourself that they were some of the worst conditions you'd seen.

our gas cost more lol

man what are you smoking john
must be goffy picture of your's we all see
lol
;)

what you want in a motel room ? you want a big appartment or somthing with a chef? they do have fridges so make sandwiches no?
next time bring your own microwave no? we do
toster oven no? man you can even bring your own coffee makers in most places...you realy sound like a guy that is a real bummer in person , hope your not realy like that , will put a damper on the ty ride for shure

man your money is worth more then ours
so if you say you spent 1000$ that means it realy cost you 1450$ in canadian money...

thank god you dont race i would hate to hear your stories about that and how much it cost..... :roll:

Marc, perhaps we have expensive tastes. I think $1000 is a small price to pay for a week of riding and all the fun and good company with friends.

We love riding different places, and meeting new people, and last I knew, we had fun doing it. If you let these few posts paint the picture of me as someone who's a 'bummer', put it this way, ya shouldn't! If you ask at Munising, I'll tell ya a joke or two.

Back