cases and crank

theblues

My 03 viper blew the centre piston last winter and just did the teardown and the mag side seal is blown and that end bearing is the only one that is not as free turning like the others... After cleaning both end bearing and reinstalling them, the mag side seems a little loose compared to the pto side...is this looseness normal...any input would be great, thanks

no, should not be sloppier fit then the rest. replace the bearing if in question, its not worth the 100 bucks trouble to have it fail later on.

Can I replace both end cranks bearings.... When I had the outer needle bearings off I did not notice if there was a inner race pressed on the crank...can you confirm for me and is this something I can do or should I take it to a engine shop...I know a little about mechine work--like placing the crank in the freezer and heating up the bearing in oil and it just slips on...will this work on a sled crank????? thnks for now any help would be great!!!!

you can just slip the new one on like you took off the old ones, you wont need to replace the race unless its all pitted and damaged by turning blue or black in color. just buy the new bearings, oil them and slip them on. The outers are easily changed, its the inners that have to be pressed on and the crank has to be taken apart, not something your gonna be able to do at home unless you have a machine shop in your garage.

mrviper700 said:
you can just slip the new one on like you took off the old ones, you wont need to replace the race unless its all pitted and damaged by turning blue or black in color. just buy the new bearings, oil them and slip them on. The outers are easily changed, its the inners that have to be pressed on and the crank has to be taken apart, not something your gonna be able to do at home unless you have a machine shop in your garage.

Thanks, I'll be going over closely and will replace both end bearings and hope for the best...thanks for now

What I did was wash everything out and re-lubed the bearings and the difference is extremely small, no noise, no drag, same resistance. I can feel a slight play cause I played around with engines but two of my sled bud's tried things out and did not notice any play in either bearings. Then I again washed everything up and there is a noticable noise difference in the mag side to the pto side but so did the new one I tried out.... from what I have experienced, most new bearings make noise until they are lubed up... It's not that I'm cheap but I did read about a post and this guy replaced both end bearings with inner races pressed on and they were almost the same as his older one. I think he spent over $200 for the job. Just can't afford to throw money away.... what do you think...thnks

mrviper700

Timming when I put thing back together is there anything I have to time. I was looking for any marking and such and the viper manual does not refer to any timing.... how does the cdi know witch piston is looking for spark... I should have done some research before I tore it down, hope I can recover... witch piston is # 1 ( pto or mag???? ) and do I set it up at T.D.C. or the other two up and the #1 at B.D.C !!!!! let me know please and thnks...mike

No, there is nothing to time, the stator simply bolts on with the 3 phillips head bolts, the way the engine knows which cylinder is firing is by the magneto, it has a tdc mark on it and 1 magnet for each cylinder, this is done thru the pick up coil that bolts on the case. the pto cylinder is your number 1 cylinder. center 2, mag 3.

Thanks mrviper700 your making my day looking forward to putting everything back together... and what do you think about bearings if you can read the prior post to yours I realy did not feel that much difference....thnks

Last edited:

Back