who knows where this is.

amatosrx

VIP Life Member
who has been to this location before. i was here here a week after a guy on a snowmobile drove off the cliff and rode his sled down to the bottom about 300 feet and lived.

Attachments

• Picture 002 (2).jpg
    Picture 002 (2).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 67

I recongized the area right away.I thought they use to have a gurad raail or rocks by the edge?Who know's it been about 7 years since I been up there.

amatosrx said:
who has been to this location before. i was here here a week after a guy on a snowmobile drove off the cliff and rode his sled down to the bottom about 300 feet and lived.

I think somebody told us that story about ten years ago when I was there the first time! I'm starting to think it is an urban legend!

Blkhwkbob said:
I think somebody told us that story about ten years ago when I was there the first time! I'm starting to think it is an urban legend!
i heard that too, but the guy died when it was told to me. :dunno: looking down, i dont see how someone could survive it without a parachute.

I have pictures of just about every sled I owned parked in that exact spot! I had heard that he lived, they said the pine tree right where he went over broke his fall?? I must say the ride to the top is worth the trip alone!

Cobalt

So where is this lake of the clouds? I may have to go for a ride there some day now that I have nothing to do but sled all winter.

Porcupine Mountains, just west of a small town called Silver City MI. It is located on Lake Superior due north of Lake Gogebic. It is well worth the trip!

Cobalt

i will never forget that day i rode up that hill to the top. it scared the heck out me when i was driving up to the edge. a picture like this is wll worth it.

porkys can still be ridin by sleds....or so they said last weekend at the DNR shack there.

The guy no way survived a fall off the edge there, its a 80-90 degree drop a long ways down, no way. I was just up there last weekend to see the fall colors....what an amazing view it was too.

If you plan on going, check out the americinn in silver city, i have stayed there a few times and their service, rooms, and food are fantastic...as well as inexpensive.

Also, the porkies are only about an hour south of houghton/hancock riding also.

BTW: i think you can almost ride all the way down the backside of the hill there down to the lake.....just not off the edge. I believe they groom a tight trail down to the lake lookout and maybe smaller windy trails. I think it is the same location as the existing footpath to below.

What N2oIroc was saying is you can't ride the sleds up to the look out of LOC. You can only ride up to the parking area and then you have to walk about 300'

I thought it was called the Lake of the Woods. I was their in 98' on a partsunlimited snow ride. Cool spot! I heard he died.

Yup that's Lake of the Clouds just west of silver city (which is def. NOT a city if you are wondering) and it is north on M64 from US2 if you want to go there. Been there many times, great view and great hiking in the summer. Really a breathtaking place.

Back