Can some one identify a Yamaha Bike ?

Chris

Hey guys i jus baught a early 70s trail/enduro bike and have no idea what it is , the model name is worn off it , its a 496cc single 2 stroke , its competition yellow , it has a head light and tail light , twin shock , second passenger pegs , any ideas , It looks like a SC500 but they didnt come with the head light and tail light ? Any ideas would be great.
Thanks
Chris

Yes i do have a pic . it looks alot like a DT but its defenetly a 496 , im trying to figure out what it is i have to get points for it , any idea about year by the pic ?
untitled600x450.jpg

Weird, i remember 360,400,465,490, big bore 2 stroke singles, never heard of a 496. Could it be the gearbox fluid capacity, iseem to remember something like that stamped on cases. Looks kinda like part IT, part DT, maybe YZ side covers,and the rear shocks definitly are not stock. In any event cool bike, i would run the engine vin# past a Yamaha dealer.

Here's a pic of a 1974 SC500 Yamaha - I think that's what it is.

Attachments

• yam_sc500.jpg
    yam_sc500.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 138
Ya thats what i was thinking but they had a CDI, they were 496 cc tho and they didnt come with head and tail lights ? im right stumped on this one, And the SC 500 dont seem to have that aluminium plate linking the forks together

They show in 73 a SC500A that looks like had lighting coil but shows cdi like you say. Got me stumped, but thats not to hard.

Back