Chip for a Ford 6 litre diesel

Should also mention the one I use is a programmer you just select 0 to put your truck back to stock in case you have to take it in to your dealer. I suggest you do that whenever you take it in or they will report to Ford that you have it installed. In fact one dealer reported that I changed the air intake and exhaust to Ford. I went back to that dealership and told them I would not do any more business with them because of it. It is funny because some Ford dealers sell them and install them make sure you find a good dealer. If you are close to Roblin Manitoba go see Hubert at Cardeager Ford he is a great dealer.

SledDog: Are you running EGTs on your truck????? Cause everyone I know thats running a Programmer isnt running a EGT. But a guy posted above that its Critical to monitor your EGTs, cause even if you have one and run it you really dont know when the damage will be done. Till after the fact, just like a EGT on a sled. Yea your EGT is reading 1300 degrees and some may think thats to hot but it your plug wash and piston wash is looking ok then your good. What your take on this???

I dont run any EGT gauges at all. With the programmer I got it had a chart of what you can do at what settings at stock and with recommended egt sensors. With stock exhaust and intake it says you can run at 60% with light to heavy hauling. I run mine at 70% which is just above what they recommend for stock but I have a 4" exhaust and AFE intake. I hauled my 5th wheel and 17 1/2 foot boat behind it at 110 klics 10 hrs straight one way if it was going to fail it would of then. I also pulled the same load back with no problems. I get roughly 21 mpg not pulling anything of course and I usually drive about 110 /120 km/hr which is around 70 to 75 mph. I dont want to run EGT gauges because Ford will know I have a chip installed. If you are not worried about warranty issues or your dealer does not care if you chip your truck by all means run the gauges. Actually the unit will defuel itself if you have the EGT sensors and the temps are getting to high.

Last edited:
So if ya have both it'll do the same as on a Big Rig, as you said if the temps increase, the motor detunes itself to run cooler. Did not know that about that whole ordeal, but its diff. a perk. But as long as you follow the directions its not necessary.

On the banks six gun we installed in the duramax We added the egt but u dont look at it the computer does and makes calculations depending on exhaust temp. Im sure other systems are diferent. but thats how the six gun with the speed loader worked.

the banks kit is the safest kit on the market today. If the engine runs too hot it defuels the injectors until it's in a safe temp range. Also it will not turn on until your engine is at a safe operating temperature, it also detects trans slip, wheel spin, over boost. Any failures at these points and it will turn off. Just remember the banks kit is a patented design. Big daddy diesel, bully dog, diablo, hypermaxx don't have these. I've had friends buy the diablo saying it was so easy to install. Week later they needed a new trans. Hypermaxx has a kit close to it but not the same hp#'s. Banks backs up their products to. I believe their power command kit is the only 50 state approved emission kit. For the price we pay for these trucks today why put something in there that will not protect the engine and your warranty. Just read the fine print before you buy the kit. My thoughts. My 04 f250 crew cab 6.0 psd with the six gun tuner with mbrp 4" full exhaust with a muffler and cat with the stock intake went 13.20 in the quater mile

chipping a powerstroke is something i'd never do. thats when most problems occur.
it's far too much stress on the top end as well as the tranny. these trucks are far too expensive to be taking a chance at voiding the factory warranty.
in my opinion my 05 F250 6.0 has more than enough power/torque in stock forum to do anything i need it to do. mines staying stock.

I worked at a Ford Dealer for 3 years and although I do not own a powerstroke, I can tell you that Ford really frowns upon performance products and Diesels. They have every right to, people are voiding their warrantee and then turning around and lying. You are F'ing with a $9000 motor, then when they break, want it warranteed. If you think you are going to cheat the system, you are going to get burned. Our dealership was 28 bays, and of those twenty five mechanics, only 2 of them were deisel wrenches day in and day out. Good luck juicing the system.

As for the removing it to fool your dealer.... I do believe todays automotive computers are smart enough to maintain performance data. I also think the performance data is retrievable. I would certainly think that it would show data way outside the realms of capability of the stock tune. The GM products go as far as transmitting the data to GM. I get an email report on my truck monthly.

you got it JeepTherapy. The performance data on the 6.0 litres is ALL retrievable although it is not a standard procedure for REGULAR services. Like I said, if you think you are going to cheat the system or cheat the diesel techs by removing your programmer, you are wrong. Those days were gone when they dropped the 7.3's. If the engine grenades under warrantee, Ford can and will run a scan to make sure. The new Chevy's are so sophisticated that it sends a code via OnStar when your check engine light comes on your dashboard. You should see the look on some of the guys faces when their warrantee claims are denied.

BBlueSRX said:
The new Chevy's are so sophisticated that it sends a code via OnStar when your check engine light comes on your dashboard. You should see the look on some of the guys faces when their warrantee claims are denied.

You should see the look on the Chevy guys face when his on star calls him while he is driving down the road to inform him there is a problem with his truck. :)

I put a bit of research into buying an 06 F350 with the 6L diesel. I did buy one but made the decision not to do anything but leave it stock. 99% of the problems with this motor can be directly related to "chipping" and aftermarket products. It's not like the redtop 700. The only thing I dislike, as mentioned, is the fuel milage while loaded. I can get upto 23MPG imperial unloade and good conditions. When loaded I drop to about 13-16.

Back