How to Bleed Brake Line

yamaholic22

Steps for bleeding the brakes, compliments of Sleduluth

-First pull the cap off of the reservoir (on the bars) making sure you clean around it first so you don't get any dirt or residue in with your fluid.
-Next find a piece of clear hose (approx. 2') that will fit over the bleeder valves on the brake caliper. (make sure the hose has a small enough inner diameter to make a tight seal)
-Put the other end of the hose in container (cool whip size?) with a small amount of brake fluid in it, keeping the end of the hose submerged in the brake fluid helps it start.
-Next loosen the hex at the base of the bleeder valve a half turn.
-Now making sure you keep the reservoir at least half full the whole time you are doing this pump the brake lever until you no longer see bubbles in your hose...
-Then retighten this bleeder screw and repeat for the other bleeder screw.
-Make sure the little rubber seal on the cap is pushed back in (it shouldn't stick into the res. very far) and put the cap back on and you're done.

-Note the bleeder screws are the nipples covered with rubber caps at the top of the caliper... they kinda look like grease zerts.
-Also it's a pain in the @** to keep such a small reservoir full but if you let it empty you have to start all over so keep an eye on it.
-Finally brake fluid is cheap so don't bother trying to reuse the stuff you drained into
your container.

Thanks Yamaholic22 and Sledulute

Is the brake fluid DOT3 or DOT 3-4? What brand?

Last edited:
Use whatever brand you want, DOT3 is fine, DOT4 is better. :bump:

Last edited:
daman said:
LOL not sure why they want 4 but hey,
From what I heard dot 3 may eat away the hoses and thats why you have to use the right stuff or youll be sorry. I believe my friends dad told me this when I did my brake pads a few years ago. I could be wrong though.

if you have enough hose, you can run the end of the hose right in the resivior. You just add fluid as needed, and the bubbles actually come out easier. Just keep the end of the hose in the fluid. Maxdlx

YAMAHIZAL700 said:
From what I heard dot 3 may eat away the hoses and thats why you have to use the right stuff or youll be sorry. I believe my friends dad told me this when I did my brake pads a few years ago. I could be wrong though.
No, it’s not going to eat the hose…. as Daman guessed DOT 4 can take more heat before it boils. That said its worse for moisture contamination then DOT 3 is. Anyway, use what they call for, you can't go wrong. Just make sure you take it from a sealed bottle and put the cover back on the reservoir as soon as possible to minimize the moisture exposure.

You forgot the step where you forget to keep the reservoir filled and have to start all over after getting air in the line. :rofl: :rofl:

I use a brake bleeding kit that connects to an air hose. There is a bottle with a special top that you place upside down in the reservoir (keeps the level up for those of us who are forgetful) Then you simply pull the trigger and you can completely replace the fluid in a matter of seconds.

Back