ATV Title Indiana & Michigan?

jwiedmayer

I was given a 2002 polaris 500 scrambler in exchange for fixing another. They did not give me a title but I know the people well so its not stolen. In fact I had the dealer run the vin and it came back in their name. So does MI & IN require a title to register a four wheeler?

I cannot speak for the state of Indiana, but here in MI there is no registration on an ORV. You simply go down and buy an ORV sticker. And without registering a vehicle with the state it is completely illegal to operate it on any public road. Strictly ORV trails. Yeah it sucks... but without the title you are screwed as far as trying to insure it. Even with the sticker it is illegal to operate it even on seasonal roads or federal (state)owned property unless it is designated as an ORV trail.

I looked on MI website and it said titles are required for vehicles sold after 1/1/03. IN does not title atvs. I wonder how much I'm going to get yanked around with just a "bill of sale"?

IN is in the equation because I believe it was purchased from a dealer in IN. I live in MI.

I just went through it in Michigan, I bought a 2003 400ex wrecked just to fix it up and make some money, the original owner who I bought it from had lost the title, he wrote me a bill of sale but they said it wasn't enough, they wanted him (the original owner) to come in and apply for another title and then sign it over to me, the original owner wasn't willing to go through the effort (because I hardly paid him anything for the quad) and I ended up applying for a new title myself. I don't exactly remember the forms I had to fill out but the police had to come out to the house and verify the VIN #, it was a big mess.

It might be different in your case since you bought it in a state where they don't title quads, there is no original title so maybe the bill of sale will do.

I just bought a quad in IN. this fall from a dealer.They did send me title information to get it transfered to my name.I only use it on private property so I didn't brother transfering it.The way I understand it in IN.you must register to run on public land and you must have a title to register.Can't remember what date it had to manufactured after to qualify,but I do know the original value has to be over 2500.00 to require a title.

Yeah the SOS gave me the run around with the bill of sale too. They told me I would have to pull out a surety bond? I dont know WTF a surety bond was but it sounded like alot of BS. good luck

Back