what gps to buy under 200$ canadian?

92vwgti

well after getting lost last wekend on the back country roads i decided i need a gps so incase i get lost i can trace my steps back or where i came from. my question is what gps do you guys recomend for under 200 canadian? I was looking at the garmin legend. nice and simple, i also do alot of fishing so id want the lake maps and topo maps. im guessing id have to buy each of these programs seperately or can i have somebody burn me the cd? if anyone has a used gps and in good condition im willing to buy it
thanks

Garmin GPS

I have a garmin lengend GPS. Your right it's simple. Only draw back is the internal memory of 8 mb. I have it loaded with a topo of the fire region here where I'm from and the gps has saved my *** a few times getting home. Again the only draw back is the internal memory of the legend.

but lets say i have the topomaps and the blue charts. and im going away in the woods snow mobiling and i need just the topo maps can i just put them in then when i get home put back the lakes/river map?

Mapping

Yeah thats how it works. I download maps to my gps where I'm going. I hunt and fish alot and each time I go I just change the mapping in gps. Its time consuming but it works good for what I do.

ok awesome thanks..im going to pick up the garmin legend oh yea can i also maybe get a burned cd of these maps and lakes.. its about 120$ each program

I got a garmin legend package from Wal-Mart here in Canada. It came with gps unit, case, and topo Canada software for $199 cdn. I thought is was a good deal.

ok i just checked walk marts site and its 119$ for the gps and if you take the topo programs its 180$ but the thing i dont get is that in canadian dollars? cuz i looked online at canadian tire for the same gps and its 175$ for just the gps..unless wallmart has some crazy good prices

mine was bought in store (manitoba) on Dec. 26, 2006. I returned the one I got for xmas and bought this package deal. the package was regular price (Not a boxing day sale) and still a heck of a deal IMO. Yep it was cnd. $$

I'll try to get pics of the package up by monday. Will also dig up the reciept so you can maybe go to your local Wal-mart and see if they can get this package in. Sorry I can't get the pics up sooner but have no internet @ home and have a super busy weekend planned. I also did a quick search online and could not find the same package as I bought. I could only find this review of the same bundle as i bought (Wal-mart Item Number: 999523) :

http://www.epinions.com/content_298026110596?linkin_id=8001565

Last edited:
thanks for all the help i bought the kit today 190$ got the garmin legend and the topo map now i just gotta learn how to use this thing..man never thought it was this complicated

screww garmin....check out the GONAV S600A (rebranded Audiovox) it has 3.5" color touch screen, 512mb sd card (handles 4gb) and plays dvx movies and mp3's aswell! was onsale at the great canadian superstore for $99 canadian........I missed out on that and bought mine for $196 taxes in for a new one on ebay. Highly reccomended and highly hackable.

http://www.gonav.net/

sucks i didnt sdee this before but i rather go with garmin..havent heard anything bad about them.. i usedf to have auviovox cell phones and they were garbage oh well well see how this garmin turns out

i got to tell ya', i bought a garmin legend cx last nov. and used it for the first time on my sled this past weekend and it was awesome. bone stock no topo maps or anything and it worked wonders running through the forest roads and trails. we were able to find our way out of anything and track back' no problems at all!! well worth the money and not too complicated also, not too much gps for what we need it for!

cant wait to really test her this spring when i go fishing some 500kilometers in the woods..mark all my good fishing spots

i have a question. here it goes

lets say im in the woods and i start off from my camp on a big lake.. im going to a spot that ive never been to so i want to be carefull not to hit any rocks will my gps automatically make the tracks so i can follow them back? or do i have to mark the route myself?

Yeah this is my first gps....and I have to say its pretty kewl.....I am running windows ce on it and it palys avi files,mp3, anf views photos.....here is a picture of it playing death of a president.

cimg0907cb4.jpg

92vwgti said:
sucks i didnt sdee this before but i rather go with garmin..havent heard anything bad about them.. i usedf to have auviovox cell phones and they were garbage oh well well see how this garmin turns out

Back