Phazer Mods?? Help Please!!!

snowpromod

Hi,
I recently purchased a Phazer II 136 long track machine and am looking to make it into a woods machine. Any suggestions on mods would be appreciated:
1. Pipe- Looking for an AAEN pipe, any other suggestions??
2. Carbs- I have access to numerous different round and flat slides-should I change?
3. Reeds- I think is a good idea-any suggestions?
4. Clutching- Need help here- willing to change out complete units if needed??
5. Gearing- Want to turn the 136- again suggestions???
6. Track Lug Size- Would really like a 1.25 or 1.5- any mods needs to acheive this?? It currently has a 136x.75.
7. Suspension- Was going to update the front pogos and look to put a different rear skid in it, what is the best swap- easiest also???

You may wonder why I am wasting my time and money on a 488 Phazer, I like them and think it will be a fun project. It is going to be a woods sled, blazing new trails. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. THANKS

I have a Phazer setup like this; had CB Performance do a ton of work:

1) Aaen Pipe
2) Motor had seized so its ported
3) extended to 136" with a 1.25 Ripsaw
4) Roller Secondary
5) Plastic skis (factory Yammies shimmed to fit)

If we ever get soem frickin wsnow I'll run her soon . . . (that and if work ever slows down)

Dont know where your located altitude wise but I am not sure about going to a lug taller than 1.25 on a 136 track related to the HP you have with the 488cc motor. IMHO.

Pipes, Aean, PSI, DG, all add a bunch to the sled.There are opinions all over on these, my wifes has a DG, works well for her with a Camo 1" track, but a 121". Got the Boyssen reeds, runs great, pretty much bullet proof.

Front "pogo conversion" ?? Hmmmm, dont know what to do there!!

If ya need a set of reeds, I have a new set of Boyssen Power reeds I am selling.It was supposed to be a set for a Vmax 4, but package was opened & only has 6 reeds when I needed 8. So, it will fit the Phazer, SRV etc.

Asking $30 plus shipping for them. Can send pics if interested.
Regards, Rob

1- Dg pipe works real good !
2- If you have access to flatslides, use them !
3- Boyesen power reeds !
4- Roller secondary !
5- Gear down !
6- 1.25 !
7- Plastic ski's !
8- Pro gold gas struts and shocks or upgrade to V-max 5 or 6 pogo's with a later model pro action skid !

Decent power and light weight make the Phazer a excellent woods sled !!! :cool:

I have built a few fast phazers, but the first thing to do is to change the carbs on them, because no matter what, the engine will burn down in the mid range if you dont. I have drilled out the stock carbs to allow more fuel flow, ran 110 pilot jets, raised float levels etc. just about everything I could do and they would still burndown. Installed round slide carbs and not only did it wake the engine up they never ever had problems again. They are pretty surpising how much power they make when done up right.
I had the best luck with Aaen pipe, bender cold air kit, porting and piston mods, Comet clutching,NOT cutting the heads at all, phazers have high compression already.

Well I am looking buying a 2nd Phazer and here is a list of mods allready doe to it:
New 1" Camoplast Hacksaw Track - less than 50 miles on track.
Camoplast Lightweight skis - Installed last season.
Woodys 6" Carbides.
Aaen pipe with Jet-Hot coating.
FMF Ram valve intake - installed this year.
FMF Reeds - installed this year.
Vertex Moly-Coated Pistons w/250 miles on them. Stock bore.
Dual-hole primary nozzles in carbs. (Hartman Racing)
Modified Main nozzles. (Hartman Racing)
Cold air intake kit for carbs. (Bender Racing)
Engine cooling kit. (Bender Racing)
Engine torque strap (Bender Racing)
Aftermarket Primary and Secondary Springs have been installed.
Machine has been geared down for more low end (although I dont think it would be necessary with the new intake) - stock gears go with machine.

My question is should I still look to swap out the carbs on this one as well??? Or did the nozzel mods as he is calling them correct the mid range problems?? Thanks for all the info

I dont see any porting on the list, you might be ok?????

I have drilled the carbs before, all the fuel is drawn up thru the cast main nozzle tube inside a phazer carb, and you can add a extra hole on the sides, but its the main passage up thru it and the way the fuel is drawn in thru the sides that makes them a weak point, like I said, been there done that, still was replacing pistons after running the sled at cruising rpm's, once we changed to 36mm slide carbs the sleds woke up and never again had piston problems.

On a stock phazer its no problem they will run forever, its just when you mod them(porting, etc.) the carbs wont keep the engine alive for very long.

I am interested in this carb swap as well.. What carbs would work like off of what type of sled would work best and does it allow you to still use the oil injection and stock carb boots and throttle cables?

Are these the carbs that would give better tunability for my phazer?

1142_1.JPG

Again my question about if I can use my oil injection cable or stock throttle cable?

Back