XL-V hesitation off the line

B0nzz

I just inherited my dads XL-V (says that on the back of the seat) 2 stroke sled.
Of course he cant remember anything (he’s gone a little crazy) about it and I cant find any tags on it. I looked under the hood and near the foot rests and found nothing, I know he bought it new (early 90’s or late eighties) and it has about 1600 miles on it. I am having two problems with it.

I have no idea engine size (540 or so I guess) or what it’s model name is,

There is a major hesitation off the bottom end. I have it idling about 1,000 rpm and it takes almost 3 seconds for it to rev up when punched. I cleaned out the carb and there was really not much gunk in there. I also disconnected the TORS and it helped a little.
I checked the compression and sitting on it (from left to right) it is about 95 and 100 lbs. IS the OK??

Once it gets going it flies but as you can imagine, a hesitation off the bottom really screws with me on turns..

Any ideas???

Thanks for the help.

ca

Yup took all jets out and cleaned with 2+2 carb cleaner.

Also, on the top of carb, there is a screw. IS this the air fuel mixture and is a good starting point 2 ½ turns out like ever engine I ever worked on??

Is the compression OK. I cant find any info out on a XL-v

SOMEONE HEEELELLPPPPPPPP
:o| :o| :o| :o| :o|
ca

Last edited:
2 1/4 seems to be the sweet spot, thanks srv. I cleaned out the carb again and it seemed to pick up a little now.
Maybe I am expecting a little too much out of this thing. I have a quadracer 500 and a cbr1100 so I am used to a tooonnn of power.
With two up this thing taps out at about 60 and one up there is no way on gods green earth this thing will do a wheelie....

Does this sound about right for this thing????
My dad has a story of getting it up to 80 on ice...

thanks for any help guys.

ca

Last edited:
When you do your test make sure the motor is warmed up and have the
throttle wide open and give her 5-6 good pulls..

OK, doing the compression test warm made a ton off difference. It is running about 140lbs wot warmed up.

Should this thing be able to stand up (wheely)??

How come I never see anything about this sled, did it suck??

ca

No it didn't suck........it wasn't a lake racer,,, just a cruser and very
relyable,nice little sled there...

thos numbers are very good to,, motor seems healthy..

Back