Viper crank issues

Vmaxkid

I bought an 02 Viper with a bad crank. The connecting rod broke on the mag side cylinder and threw it through the cases.
A friend of mine who bought an 02 Viper that I had owned and has no more than 3500 miles on it was riding two weeks ago when the Viper blew the crank on the same mag side as the one I have. He was lucky and it did not throw the rod through the case but it got hot enough were the rod looks like it stretched.
I have been reading posts about people blowing up Vipers, crank issues and busting cases.
Does anyone else think that Yamaha may have had an issue with these cranks and rods and just would not admit it? My 98 SRX had to have the crank welded due to an issue Yamaha owned up to but would only repair if you requested it. No recall.
I also see when I go onto a Yamaha dealer's site and look up Viper crank they are back ordered. Is this because everyone is having issues.
I have been searching for a used crank myself and everytime someone posts one they are sold immediately.
Any thoughts? How many of you out there have had a crank or rod issue?

If your viper is not piped you should have many trouble free miles. I always think its cheap insurance to have the carbs cleaned at least once year, nice warm ups before you take off, a little gas line antifreeze if the the sled is left outside in cold temps, A rear heat exchanger, and always a good spring fogging and gas line stabilizer in the tank at the end of the year.
Up here in Quebec many 2002's vipers are in the for sale adds and most have 6000 to 10000 miles on them without any issues.

I broke the pto stub off my 2004 at 3000 Km mark. Now need a crank unless someone knows of a place that installs new ends on cranks.

I know of 2 vipers that had "twisted" rods from the factory. Think it was the center cyl though on one for sure, not sure on other. you could see it by eye, looking at all 3 rods lined up, one was twisted, just a tiny little bit. Yamaha covered 2 rebuilds on one of them i know, at the dealer. not really a crank problem, took out the top ends though. Blew up at 700 miles& 1,400 miles then they found the rod problem.

15K miles on my 02 and the motor has never been apart.If anyone wants my crank for $2500 you can have it and I will throw in the rest of the sled for free.

BTW I've never heard of anyones crank going bad around my area unless it was brgs from not storing properly.

Last edited:
Weird here in quebec most 2002 vipers have way over 6000 miles and are still running like a charm.
for 2002's up to 2004's most sled here have a average of over 7000 to 8000 miles +++ and the only ones that are still running without rebuilds are yammy's !

Back