new skis

mountainx01

im still looking for new skis for my mountain max just wondering what others are using. been looking at the powder hounds, simmons, and a new yamaha mountain ski. im have a hard time spending 400 for new aftermarket.

Some guys are just buying used RX-1 ski's and are having good luck. Put simmons on my MM and really like them. I bought some used ones for 1/2 price. Had to get brackets but at least now I can steer.

before i sold my rx1 i was thinking of swapping skis but i want a wide ski that will float and keep the front from diving.

sly dog powder hounds work real good on a heavy front 4 stroke, so would be better on a 2 smoke. Maxdlx

just put Yamaha wide mountains skis on my Mountain Max.... totally different sled with these skis... no more diving and on lake runs you can actually feel yourself on top of the powder rather than scraping thru it with the stockers.... can't say enough about them....

this is the route im going to go because i keep losing skis on ebayand i lost a set of mountain skis on ty classified sect. went to dealer and they said skis were about 130 a piece with loops and i think saddles but my question is to put these apex mountain skis on my mountain max do i just reuse my existing saddles or use the apex saddles?

the mountain skis are saddleless... They just bolt right up to MM spindles with the appropriate bushings, spacers and bolt... ( I needed to trim the leading and aft fin of rubber from the btm of the rubber blocks to make them fit perfectly)...

There is a fair bit of hardware though, (collars, bushings, spacers for both the mounting and the installation of the carbides)... Check fiche first since this all adds to the cost...

I found a set on TY classified.. They came with dual carbide runners and all hardware... I'll never go back to a single runner...

i have a set of gen 1 simmons on a viper and love em.....they make a huge difference. a friend has a new mtn. lite phazer and is unhappy with the super deep keel on the new yamaha mountain ski, says he will be buying a set of simmons for it. not to mention how friggin ugly those skis are.

Had a set of simmons and switched to the yamaha mt. ski this year. Just got back from the snowies and I wouldn't give you 2 cents for another set of simmons. The yamaha mt. ski is the best powder ski I have ever tryed and way lots cheaper. The simmons don't hold a candle to the yamaha powder ski.
Totally different sled, and finally got the rear suspension perfect on my 03 mt. viper......been working for 3 years now and it performed fawlessly.
:jump:

thats great to know i was thinking that the yamaha mt. ski would be better for me price and performance. now if i could find some one selling a set.

I have a set of APex Mtn skis for sale in the TY 4 stroke forum for sale. They are off a 07 and have about 450 miles on them. If your interested email me at asmith51@hotmail.com, i dont come on the 2 stroke side that often.

Simmons all the way. I have not tried the yammi mtn powder skis but for both trail and off trail the Simmons are great. I didn't think they would make that much of a difference from my stockers but they do. The front end floats tons better in powder, especially going down hill. The other key point is that they don't dart on the trail anymore. I'd forgotten about how bad it can get with other skis till I rode my brother's sled a few weeks ago. I had to trade him back!

If you think about it, what are the guys replacing their new Yamaha mtn skis with? I bet they're mostly Simmons.

X2...for Baja. Just dumped another set of the Yami Mtn Powder skis for a set of the Simmons. I cut 40#'s of weight off the front of my 05 Viper, so the front really floats in powder anyway. The Simmons are a world better on the trail and cut well in the powder when I need them to.

I know there are Viper owners out there that prefer the OEM Mtn ski's, but I think those sleds are probably "heavier" on the nose...both on weight and ski pressure. Just my 2cents.

Last edited:
Go with Simmons. I have used them on every Mountain sled of mine for years. They are the best Mountain Ski.

SIMMONS ! A little while back I asked the same questions on here. I almost went with the saddless mountain skis $$$. I rode my Buddys 7MM with Simmons and liked the way they floated in the powder, eliminated darting and spray, and also (I think) they look a lot better. Check eBay often. There are always deals to be had (got mine used but in very good shape for $275 shipped). I have'nt rode a sled with the Yamaha mtn skis,but they got to be a whole lot better than the ones that came on the MM's stock. Nothing like letting off the throttle to quick in deep powder and your sled submarines. :o| Sending you flying over the front of your machine, IS NO FUN ! Goodluck

I just put on a set of the Apex mtn skis on my mM700. Huge improvement over the stock MM ski. Much beter flotation, better handling in the powder, better on the trails. No complaints so far. I put them on two days before we had 110cms of snow fall. They work well.

Back