Track is almost done

nightmanx1

I spent all day friday drinking beer and porting the track. I go the center done and now I have to deside if I should do the outer edges. Any thoughts on doing the outer edge.

Attachments

• DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 21

I've heard of this being done for weight savings, but I can't help wonder how much structural integrity has been lost there. Here's hoping it holds ;):D

It is also done to relieve pressure in the tunnel area in deep powder and increasing trackspeed. A buddy was just talking about this the other day. SOC

I personally would not do it. Going into a carve and possibly catching on a rock, ice, or a tree branch, would tear the edge of that track in a second. I witnessed it happen a few weeks ago with no holes drilled along the edge. My friend caught a buried stump (just barely) and ended up tearing thru the edge of the track, the track window and two of the ported holes, with NO holes drilled along the edge. Adding holes to the outside edge of the track, I think, would just make it that much easier to destroy an expensive part of your sled.

I would stay away from the outside drilling. For what its worth, my track will be replaced because of lugs getting torn off before the hyfax are replaced for the first time or the porting causing any problems

I've seen the out side drilled also but I really think a guy could go too far. In the mountains there are definately more plus's then negatives. Lighter track, clears the snow out of tunnel, better hyfax lube. Skidoo is doing it from the factory on the Summits. Good luck.

Not on the outside though, between the window and the edge of the track. OEM is only cutting them in the center where there is plenty of cords and rubber left to keep the track together. You won't have much rubber/cords holding the outside of your track together if you port between the windows and edge of track as well. I'd be scared that a rock would tear a hole there personally.

Well I don't think I will be doing the outside of it. Now I have to trim the lugs about .25" so there is room in the tunnel, I only Paid $175 for the track so I can spend some time and BEER on doing what I want to it. Plus i will have to change the drivers but then that is no big deal. OH ya the track is going on a sled that is only 470 pounds with oil and a 3/4 tank of gas.

Back