1989 exciter wet plug

shane

Just a little curious has anyone out there with an 89 exciter had the following symptoms?
PTO side cylinder plug is burning perfect but magneto is a little wet doesn't matter if it idles or if I drive the pi?? out of it. compression is 130 psi both sides. Coil checks out o.k according to manual.
Now the only thing is there used to be a psi pipe on it and I have gone back to stock pipe as the psi elbow rotted out.Seems to be enough power but not as crisp as my phazer II or as I think it should be.
Any opinions or suggestions are welcomed.
:letitsnow

I would check all the carb specs and the synchronization , and the choke cables ,if they are OK ,I would check the fuel pump diaphragm as I think that the pulse line is on that Cylinder. If it is cracked it will let fuel leak into the cylinder.

checked synchronization o.k choke cables o.k fuel pump o.k pulse line small crack but not all the way through I have have the machine aprt now as I thought there may be a wiring issue changed the coil still the same just don't know what the carb specs for floats should be.

Exciter carb float height

In this pic the distance should be 17.1 to 19.1 mm. This is for the 1988-90 Exciter. Not sure about Exciter IIs though. Any other specs?

Bruce

Attachments

• float height.jpg
    float height.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 9
If your jetted for that psi maybe going back to stock is making you
too fat,try stock jetting..

near as I can tell from what people have told me on the site it has 320 for the mains 42.5 for the pilots and not quite sure what the poer jets are (can't see the numbers) mind you I did check float heights and they were out of the 17mm to 19 mm range on both so I will try this weekend once it's higher than -42 deg c with wind chill to put all back together.(don't have heated garage) but thanks for the input always appreciated

I can get you in the ball park on the main jets if you know how high you ride at. I am running an 88 with a single PSI pipe on mine and I am jetted for just under 7000 feet and have had good luck with 280 mains and 42.5 pilot and my power jets are pluged off.

well thats a good idea. I would like to play a litlle.Only a couple of issues the psi pipe is being repaired at this point as I think it is worth fixing (buddies a welder) and is alot lighter than the stock pipe I have in their. Other issue is how do I find out my elevation I live in eastern Ontario Canada.... any suggestions .Also a little curious why would plug the power jets????? On another note have you heard of people bracing the motors to stop them from torgueing and burning out belts?

The power jet does not do alot at 10000 feet, and it was pluged by Yamaha. I have the brace you are talking about on mine and not sure if it maters since it has been on it since i bought the sled. As for your altitude check the web or a local map, maps some times have it on them.

well I do not beleive I am that high as far as altitude is concerned. here it is mostly flatlands so I will look into the elevation. I am curious do you have a picture of that brace and have you gone through alot of belts or are you doing o.k in this area.

Well the power jet probably would matter at my elevation. But I will try to google it as I am on dial-up. Do you have a picture of this brace you are referring to. One other thing what is the little red wagon in your avatar. My boys saw the picture and now they want one. Looks kinda neat.

Back