Hydraulic brake conversion

bajardine

Has anyone put a hydraulic brake setup on a Phazer or Exciter? I have a six year old that has begun riding and he has a hard time gripping the brake lever hard enough to be able to lock the track up. I was thinking if I could convert a Phazer or Exciter to a hydraulic setup, the problem would be solved. Any ideas?

Bruce

Last edited:

A 6 year old riding a 56 or a 75 H.p. machine....... Not trying to be sarcastic but, maybe a Bravo/Enticer or a Snocoot would be a better choice ? Better to be safe !

I understand your point. Is it safe to have a six year old riding a full size snowmobile. I asked myself the same thing. He has two years of riding a Polaris 120 and the year before that he rode a KittyKat. My older son began riding on an Indy Trail when he was six and has done well for several years. He is now 11 and rides an Exciter. He is able to climb most things that I do on my MM 700. The only thing that ever holds him back is his confidence. I have a 7 year old daughter that I almost don't dare putting on the XCR 120. So is a 6 year old to young for a 56-75 HP sled? It's a judgement call that I am responsible for and I think he is ready for the next step. When did everyone else learn to ride their first snowmobile? I was 22!

The question still remains, has anyone done a hydraulic brake conversion on an older Yamaha? I have a Phazer waiting to be rebuilt and it would be a great time to do it.

The older Polaris hydraulic brake can be fit to a Phazer. A plate has to be made and some holes drilled. I have one that was already modified when I got it. I am not able to post pictures and I know without them that this does not help you much.

If you could use a spacer to put the handle closer to the bar it might help.

The Phazer/Exciter brakes were never real good. To get the best performance, put on a new cable. An old cable that moves hard will increase the force required to apply the brakes. It may seem that it moves fine, but under load the resistance will increase greatly. The same applies with the actuating screw assembly. Take it apart and clean and lubricate it sparingly with lithium grease. If it is not the self adjusting type, keeping the adjustment very tight helps a lot. You may also want to put new pucks in, the material was changed over the years.
Ventilating the rotor will also help.

I had a Bender kit on my 94 v-max ,worked great. Took it off when I sold the sled and put it on my dad,s Exciter II, hated it! It felt vauge and pulled harder than stock. I think The small disc was a bad match for the hydro system. BTW Bender used Wilwood parts, same as 90's POO's. My 11 year old gets along good on our 94 Phazer. A defferent ratio might better. A bigger disc would help but would take some big mods.

bajardine said:
Do you know what year Polaris for the brake? I'd like to try that.

Bruce

I have PM'ed you.
The Bender kit was a modified Arctic Cat/Wilwood brake. There have been postings about that. You may find them with a search.

PZ 1 said:
I have PM'ed you.
The Bender kit was a modified Arctic Cat/Wilwood brake. There have been postings about that. You may find them with a search.

I have the Bender setup on my Vmax-4, and PZ 1 is correct. Modified Cat/ Wilwood setup.

Back