Building a powder sled < $5,000?? Possible?

Mountain SXr

Hello,

Trying to figure out if it's even possible to build a half decent powder sled for under $5,000.

I figure this is a semi possible breakdown for used parts if nothing else

Early phazer or exciter $1,000
Skid 1,000
Track 1,000
Motor ( new or upgrades) 1,000
Misc. 1,000

The only other problem or question…. Is an older modified exciter powder sled worth $5,000?

Thanks!

You would have a better "Powdew Sled" with a stock 2001 Mountain Max for around $3500.

Save the rest of the money for beer.

3rd, buy a Mountain Max $3000,
pipe it $500
new track ext? $1000
$4500 MUCH MUCH better powder sled
or Boss seat & risers?

There's a mountain SRX for sale on this site for about the same money. A mountain SRX is a lot of sled, in fact, it will run with any make of new moutain sleds. You won't build it for what he's asking.

I agree with ModMMAX.

Check out the other thread. "Hartman Vs. MPI long track Kit".

There is a pic of my 98 MTNSRX with 151 Hartman Ext.

I picked this up for $3500 cnd. & it works awsome!

don't know

I bought one new in 98 and it has to be the worst Mnt sled I bought. Ask Yamaha, they only built them for one year for a reason.

gild said:
I bought one new in 98 and it has to be the worst Mnt sled I bought. Ask Yamaha, they only built them for one year for a reason.

They were bad stock, but with some modifications to the suspension mine works great!

I agree with you Gild. The stock mountain SRX was as headstrong as the first RX1 and about as much fun to ride in deep snow. If you change nearly everthing possible, like the tunnel, track, gears, drivers, breathing, skid frame, seat, hood, guages everything heavy......they worked really good. Sorry, not trying to be a smart a** but the power of the SRX engine just kept guys spending money until they made it work. By the end of these kind of transformations, it is impossible to not be really upside down, like 8K invested plus the sled. In most cases these sleds, including ultra mod MM's, sell for way less than invested. IMO the smart buyer wanting a mod mountain sled will look for one that someone else has already invested a lot of money in. Just my .02.

I agree there

I should have said stock. I piped, lightweighted front with Powderlites stuff, Ekholmed Rolled Tunnel, Simmons Skiis.Tried the stock 136 1 1/2 "track' then Polaris 1 3/4" , Stock Yamaha 2" Then to a 141 2" finally to a 156 2" with 00 MMax rails and then it kinda worked OK but still wasn't as good as my modded SXr. It was still not as good mountain sled when I sold it, just wouldn't run in the powder with snow on the hood. 4 cranks by the way and 2 drive axles. There I vented !!! I'm over it.

I built a MM and finished an SRX. Getting both of them to breath in really deep snow has been and remains my biggest problem. I'll keep throwing money at it until I luck into a solution. Geez, 4 cranks. Easy to feel that pain.

Cranks

Yamaha Canada or my Dealer or both paid for all 4 Cranks and both drive axles.All it cost me was for 2 pistons and 2 cyls because one time it took out 1 cly with the crank and I wanted them the same. Thats why I still ride Yamaha !!!

Modmax

I found with my SXr that I 151d that it works better without the pre filter in hood and if it starts to bog in deep powder snow the carbs are freezing. Has WOT but really rich 1/2 throttle so turn those carb heaters on.
The MSRX once the hood fills up there is no WOT just 1/2 and less. If you stop and clean the hood off its fine till you fill the hood again. Tried Bender cold air kit, Opened up footwells, deflector. and drilled holes in consul. I was going to take my guages out to see if it would get enough air but Mr crank bit me and I traded it. I ran into a guy with a cloth hood and he said it ripped in deep powder. I know spring time with no hood thats where it worked best. Give it a shot.

I had a Diamond S fabric hood on my MM. Worked OK except in deep snow. The fabric was kind of course and the snow would coat the hood. All cooling was lost and in no time the clutches would go soft. Also, under hood heat would melt some of the snow and the hood would turn into a dripping kind of rain forest thing. Steam from water dripping on pipes would add to the problems. The fabric hood looked cool but not the right fix in deep wet snow.

My SRX is taking air from under the hood. The hood is an Outlaw lightweight. I put a MPI cover on the air filter to stop snow from getting into the air box and I installed screens/filters in the guage holes and added 4 more filters in the guage pod deck. In deep snow it acts fussy. Move out of the deep snow and it clears up. I tried duct taping different vents to prevent snow from coming in and enjoyed some success but the engine performace still changes in deep snow. I have everything put away for the season already but next year I plan to try and hoard off the top of the air box from the under hood air. Gild, thanks for your suggestions. Next year.

mod sled

Hello,

My only problem with buying a modded sled is the delivery. I’m in Northern Ontario Canada. I can’t imagine the shipping costs for a sled from the States. My only other concern would be buying a mod with some shabby workmanship.

Thanks

You could do it with a more recent model. If you found a high mileage sled, or one with some slight damage (say with tunnel damage or something) and put a little bit of work into it. For example... I got my 2000 SRX 700 here in Southern Ontario for $2000 and it was pretty well spotless when I got it (I put a couple scuffs on the left side of the machine since) for an extra $3000 to spend, you have TONS of options to go with. You could get a used set of pipes, clean and paint them all nice and shiny for $400 max or find a set of ceramic coated ones for a bit more, now we're down to $2,500 at the least, say you got a sled with tunnel damage, get a used but good condition tunnel (either aftermarket or OEM) from a parted out sled, get a bit of porting done, handlebar riser, new track, new suspension, ski's, a few lightweight parts.

Keep in mind you can sell your original parts as you do this. There is a lot of room to play if you find the right core sled. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing only mostly for ditchbanging ( buddy took a crank out of his 2004 600HO SDI... was gonna sell it cheap) I would have just parted the motor, threw in an 800 motor, 136 track with 1.75" lug, and there ya go, cheap ditchbanger/jumper sled.

loose the phazer idea, like others have stated find a good used 2000 or newer mtn max for ~$2000-2500, add 2000 in accessories (or find one already modded for a little more $$$) and call it good. you will go anywhere within reason on a 151 mm. add some track, loose some weight, and they are pretty nice machines and reliable too!

Back