89 Exciter Suspension Upgrade

Parasitic Whim

What other skids can be dropped into an 89 Exciter frame with minimal modification. Basically, my shocks are dead, and I'm in the process of a complete engine rebuild, so I'm thinking of trying to upgrade the suspension at the same time. Any suggestions, I would prefer to keep it under $200 if possible. I'm staying at 121x15, I'll upgrade the track later (as well as drop a tooth on the drivers and compensate gearing as well).

The original Pro-Action used on the Vmax540, Srv, 91-93 Exciters and later the Vmax5/600's was a much better suspension than the 87-90 Exciter's and it shows with the fact Yamaha went back to it on the later Exciters !

Would that be a direct bolt in, and how much would that gain me in travel/and or shock absorbsion compared to the Exciter suspension?

Yamaha suspensions are about my least knowledgable topic.

You may also look for a pro-action plus long travel suspension out of a 96xt. It will fit. I have one in a 95 v-max and have put one in an exciter as well. 92 if I remember right. You will have to drill 3 holes on each side of the tunnell. We used a template of a 96xt. Use the front holes as the guide. I hope this helps. We found one on e-bay and one from a wreck. Both under 200$ and will work. As a future mod, you may want to put in tss from exciter sx or 96xt as they are adjustable or any 94-96 v-max as they offer more travel than yours and will level the sled out.

For the front I'm actually thinking about modding the front frame to use the suspension off of a late 90s Vmax or Viper. Just mod the frame to accept the trailing arms. Doesn't really make it an Exciter anymore does it?

i have 2 96 xt proaction skids, and a xt pogo bulkhead. shipping will cost more than these cheaply priced parts. if memory serves correct, the xt had way more travel in the front than the ext and the xt had adjustable pogos. this could be your lucky deal(or anybody else's) as this stuff needs to go. also have tunnels, vmax body plastic, ext plastics, and alot of misc.

Back