89 phazer mods???

Wishing for snow!
hey all i have had this phazer for 8 years now and i am riding the xcr and the srx to much but i like to have this sled as a back up when we go, so i was wondeign what can be done to gain atleast 20 more ponies. i want to add an aaen or dg pipe which claims 14-16 hp. so then i would like to do the heads and port, what else or should i even port and cut the heads??

let me know all, thanks.

Cut the pistons . The intake window in the piston skirt gets enlarged .phazer sx had this done .I made a template off of old pistons made by bender . I cut mine with a wood router with a carbide wood bit . SX pistons realy make more power .

If you are going to mod the old leafblower seriously look into a set of flat or roundslide carbs. The butterflys don't provide enough adjustability to support mods very well.

A good pipe is 10-14hp depending on the brand. Most prefered the Aaen can one.

Porting works well on them too. I ran mine with a single layer head gasket.

Piston cut is good for a couple of horse. Wiseco's are similar to the sx cut but not quite as good. They don't break the skirts like the cut piston will.

Boyenson reeds work well in them.

I ran one for a couple years set up this way. It was good for about 80 hp or so. Ran like top most of the time. I used to run a gallon or two of 110 in it each tank. On staight 91 it had a tendency to rattle the pistons pretty good on a long hard pull.

I found this DynoTech report online one day and saved it for a day just like this!

It's got the dimensions for cutting pistons, as well as dyno reports on various Phazer pipe combos.

If anyone's got something similar for the Exciter of the same vintage, I'd appreciate seeing it.

A.

Attachments

• Phazer mods-1.jpg
    Phazer mods-1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Phazer mods-2.jpg
    Phazer mods-2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Phazer mods-3.jpg
    Phazer mods-3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Phazer mods-4.jpg
    Phazer mods-4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 58
which sled is that piston out of?? a sx??? but 600 or 700???? which year anyone know??

oic i get it now, lol.i just finished reading it. well what piston can i use in the phazer, i will modify it like above??

You just need a standard phazer piston. Then cut to the sx specs. Or buy a set of Wisecos and be happy with them as they come. They have a more agressive intake cut than the stocker, but it's not as agressive as the sx cut. The sx cut is more prone to cracking the intake skirts and scoring the cylinder.

well i would raher take my chances with the sx cut phazer piston, i will never use "seizeco" pistons.

98700 said:
well i would raher take my chances with the sx cut phazer piston, i will never use "seizeco" pistons.

Seizeco ? If you had problems with Wiseco pistons seizing, It was only because the piston to cyl. wall clearence was to tight or you did not let the motor warm up properly. Wiseco pistons are forged pistons and need a little extra clearence to swell in the cylinder unlike a stock cast piston. They also need few minutes of warm up time to allow them to swell ! A properly set up wiseco will outlast a "cut" (weakened) cast piston.

^^ well i have had problems with weiseco pistons and i have heard about many, i meqan many ohter have had problems also. if i decide to do this i will be sure to cut.

tell me about your mods????

I have heard of people bashing Wiseco too but it always the same old story. They started their sled let it run for 45 seconds then took off accross a field or lake wide open and cold seized it. A forged piston will expand faster than the cylinder if you don't give the cylinder time to completely warm up. Like I said, with the proper amount of clearence and warm up time Wiseco pistons will give years of reliable service. As far as my sled, the motor was rebuilt 3 years ago with .5 mm over Wiseco's (492cc), mild port work, Boysen reeds, carb mods done , DG pipe, Bender primary spring and torque arm. Last year I installed a YVX secondary and Yamaha plastic ski's and Kimpex pro-gold gas struts and shocks. I have also sprayed a 25 hp shot of NOS at it when grass dragging it, Try that with a "Cut" cast piston ! :nos:

^^ well ok many i have heard like that, but i know of people that let their sleds warm up for 10-15 mins. when we where up north my buddy that i invited came along and his sled was rebuild with wiseco pistons and they seized up after only 10km since the rebuild. we started the sleds to warm up and went back in for a coffee and breakfast came out like 15-20 minutes later and then we left and then clunk, clunk, clunk, boom. and it seized. not even full throttle and it seized. well my cousins iantomasi racing, they told me not to use wiseco piston unless its a race sled, becuase they will seize. they have had tons and tons of people come in looking for a rebuild that had used wiseco pistons. so they have been in the biz for almost 17 years so i am not going to use them and i will go from what my cousins tell me.

but how does that dg pipe sound and perform??

we put the aaen on, shave the head,put in the reeds, change the primary clutch spring and tighten the secondary spring for more rpms. if i remember they came with 153.5 jets i think we ran 157,man they would come alive but need alot of clutch maintinance to keep performing well,and only a yamaha belt no other. cutting the pistons seemed to take away some reliability but made more power also,if you cut them more is not always better!! dont mess with air box. maybe put track on backwards if no picks,good holeshot but less braking.they were fun sleds..... if you are really going to do something i can get more info for you.

Why do people put in Wiseco pistons?
Because they had a seizure of the original piston/s.

Then the motor quickly seizes again.
Why?
Because they did not fix the problem that caused it in the first place.
Then what do they blame?

I put Wiseco's in a PZ for an old guy here. Sled has a PSI pipe and runs great.
This guy could break an anvil with a rubber mallet and hasn't hurt it in three years!

My 84 Phazer has Wiseco's in her. it is bored to .40 over, Aaen can pipe, shaved head and a cold air kit. I have had no problems with the pistons at all.
as for warm up I just let it Idle for about 30 secs (more if it's real cold out) and then just drive it nice an easy until it feels like it should and then drive it like I stole it.

silver

Back