Doo meltdown at Demo Ride

cougar1985 said:
lets not fool ourselfs into a false sence of greatness here guys.all manufactures have had their problems at 1 time or another.im a case in point .1994 vmax 600 ,well looked after,3900 miles.riding along enjoying the day then wam!!! spun the jack shaft.who,s the idiot who designed a 2 piece jackshaft that wouldnt last over 4000 miles???it litterally spun the splines.next year or so low and behold they go to 1 piece.i have a 1970 12/3 olympic that you cant kill and it will proably last for another 30 or 40 years yet.point being all manufactures bugger up once in a while,it just sucks when they make it to production and we pay the price.the day i broke down a pullass stopped and helped me and i thank him very much.
I've been keeping an eye on our '94 and it's just fine so far with over
4k nice and tight....

talked to the Yamaha dealer yesturday about the doos.He said he had another dooman switch over to Yamaha after he blew his motor 3 times on an 800 doo.Slowly but surely,Yamaha is winning them over to their side.Funny but true.

Sounds like BRP will be crashing and burning if they keep up with there way of doing business... The buddy with the Mach Z that burnt should just call his insurance company. It will be alot less headaches for him.

Last edited:
Srxspec said:
Ski Doo is pushing the envelope. I have talked to Doo dealers who have had the 800R motor go down with bad cranks and just the cost on replacements parts for the motor is usually $4700 worth of parts!

$4700 for parts? I thought one of the key benefits of a 2 stroke was that they were simple and had much fewer parts than a 4 stroke. Couldnt you rebuild a 4 stroke Yammy for that price? Sounds like a scam is going on somewhere.

Bischof said:
No one mentioned that none of the "prototype" Yami's blowed up.
LMAO

Read the 4th post on Page 3. Yami RX-1 towed by a Doo.

It was mentioned on there a few times, these demo sleds are being raced across the country for everyone to see/try so naturally maintainance gets put on the back burner, nature of the beast sort of thing. I think the history of failures surrounding this engine adds a lot of fuel to the fire. I'm sure if this happened to a Yami four stroke we wouldn't think much of it, blame it on poor maintainance and let it go. From what I read it didn't sound like the failure of the XP was related to the problems they've experienced in the past so poor maintainance/improper break-in probably did play a very significant role. Either way I'm sure somebody at Doo lost their job over this.

Da_Moose said:
Read the 4th post on Page 3. Yami RX-1 towed by a Doo.

It was mentioned on there a few times, these demo sleds are being raced across the country for everyone to see/try so naturally maintainance gets put on the back burner, nature of the beast sort of thing. I think the history of failures surrounding this engine adds a lot of fuel to the fire. I'm sure if this happened to a Yami four stroke we wouldn't think much of it, blame it on poor maintainance and let it go. From what I read it didn't sound like the failure of the XP was related to the problems they've experienced in the past so poor maintainance/improper break-in probably did play a very significant role. Either way I'm sure somebody at Doo lost their job over this.

Last years TY demo ride was on a Friday in Munising. On Thursday, when the truck arrived, the demo team got busy on the maintenance of thier demo sleds, so your statement about poor maintenance is probably incorrect, but cannot be eliminated because of the "hurry up" style demo season for this year.

sucks not only for them, but for all of us because i agree with ding... competition is great for the consumer :)

Back