MM pipes

YooperMike

I am considering getting a set of pipes for my 2000 MM 700. Everything is pretty much stock on the sled right now and I use it 95% of the time at sea level. Can anyone suggest a set of pipes?? Along with that I am considering getting some heel clickers and V-force reeds and spacers. I have been advised by friends (who I think don't know what they are talking about) to leave my sled as is. What do you guys think? Pros/Cons? Anyone have a setup right now for the MM that they absolutely love? I wouldnt mind an extra 20-30 hp!!

o1mmax

i have a 01 mmax 700 with pi end dumps porting that i done myself with templates from racelogic,carben tech reeds/spacers layer of gasket removed,multi range vari flow,heel clickers 3.8/3.3/3.3 striat 43 helex @ 90 stock spring ,gearing is 21/39 this sled really pulls great too 660 feet

The two most popular brands around here are Power Inc End dumps and Bender (Dynoport)

Power, Inc is now out of business so you can really only find used PI's (with some exceptions) and they are still hard to find

Bender is still going and still making pipes and they perform very simlar to the Power, Inc End Dump pipes.

I ran the PI's on my 600 SX and they rocked. Huge power and very torquey (what you're looking for in a MM) Basically any set of pipes will give you huge gains for that motor

I have an 01 MM 700 with Bender tripple pipes.
I found it difficult to get my jetting spot on.
I run a significant elevation change. I ended up installing a
Holtzman ATACC. No problem at all now no matter where I run.
If you run a fairly consistant elevation and temp you should have no problems

I love my SLP's because they are quiet (we have a pipe law in Maine). I have found them to be very forgiving with elevation and temperature change. The power increase is worth it and so far I have had no reliablilty issues whatsoever.

I agree with NBEN.
Two weekends ago I went riding with a guy who had SLP triples on a 2002 MMAX and the sound was pleasant. He is a true sled head and all his machines have aftermarket exhausts. He said the SLP trips on a Mountain Max are a piece of cake. No head mod.s or porting necessary. He said it performed very well with stock jetting (sea level), but of coarse in the mountains your going to have to re-jet. Clutch tuning is a must. Just my $.02

I ride at 2500-4000 ft. mostly and will be glad to share my clutching and jetting set-up, just send me a pm.

love the SLP's. They are a piece of cake, bolt em on an re-jet and clutch. I have stingers and they still aren't as loud as a dynoport can I had on the single pipe. realistically you will be at about 130HP when you add the manufacturers "fudge factor"

I appreciate all of the responses! Thanks Guys! So no need for anything other than maybe re-jetting and clutch tuning? I see that on the SLP site these pipes are for ported or big-bored motors. No problems with running them on a stock 700? If that is true, I will be getting a set of pipes this summer.

Last edited:
YooperMike said:
I appreciate all of the responses! Thanks Guys! So no need for anything other than maybe re-jetting and clutch tuning? I see that on the SLP site these pipes are for ported or big-bored motors. No problems with running them on a stock 700? If that is true, I will be getting a set of pipes this summer.

They sell both big bore pipes and stock cylinder pipes. The 700 pipes are down on their page further. http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=5&catID=39&productID=565
and
http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=5&catID=39&productID=561

Not for sure what pipes your looking at. I have the 2007 SLP catalog opened to page 69, Part #09-727 for 97-04 700 SX/SX 700r & MMAX's $810.00. (black pipes & can)
There is a note: "For even more power try their trail porting".

One other thing. Your hood is going to need some attention. Your going to have to remove some foam and apply heat tape to your hood. Part #09-37 (2.5"x150' roll) From what I read getting that glue off that is applied to the foam can be a pain.

No you dont have to take the foam out but you have to wrap some of the hood in heat tape. Re-jetting is a must, there is no way you can run "stock" jets with the pipes, you will melt it down. If you can find a set of used pipes I paid 350 for mine and got a $50 kit from SLP with all the heat tape and heat shields w/ all the hardware. They sell reg. pipes and big bore pipes. You can download complete instructions for installation from SLP's website w/ a clutching chart and jetting chart.

There is no MAYBE with re-jetting. you have to jet up like 6 sizes or else you will melt her down. 147.5's straight across. By the way, are the trails toast in the yooper? It's been pretty warm the past couple weeks, but I was in Paradise a couple weeks back and it was AWESOME for the Eastern half. Trail 45 into Newberry was a good ol' passionate a$$ whoopin when we were through there though...

Last edited:
Yeah, as far as I know, the trails are all garbage. But, if you are adventurous, the NOAA website still shows around 26+ inches of snow on the ground around where M-77 crosses the Alger/Schoolcraft county line. There has to be some trail roads that are still in tact. I'm gonna try it this weekend on Sunday if I can drag myself out of bed after celebrating St. Patrick's day tomorrow. Thank you everyone for the excellent input. I will be keeping my eye out for a used set of pipes thru the summer and if that doesnt work out, will buy new and hide them from my wife. :D

Put on a set of Bender pipes this winter on a 98 700. I have a Holtzman vari flow(awesome) to keep the jetting on. Unexpected gain in bottom end power and top end is much improved. No problems yet, 550 kms.

Running SLP pipes with head gasket - air box mod and Team clutch setup for 3-6000 feet. Also with 16 wide track and 04 cat suspension and simmon ski's. Once you pipe the 700 it really wakes up and is a blast to ride. I think for the mountains the 3 best pipes are PI end dumps -benders and SLP's according to alot of snowest forum members. Ride with a few guys with Rev's and a 600 polaris and we trade sleds to compare and each one really likes the crisp throttle response of the tripple. Big time thrill factor with the piped and proper clutched tripple and gets a few looks when you lay the smack down on a newer sled. Plus they are very reliable and reasonably cheap to maintain.

Back