V Max 4

mid 90's v-max's

Well I did it. I went back and bought my favorite old school sled the V max 4. I has a 93 a while back but totalled it in a tree incident. Have since been riding 600xt v-max's but missed the power. I scored this high milage machine on e-bay for a summer project. It is a 93 that is currently stock with 8,000 miles. I did a comp check and pulled 120 on all cylinders. So now the questions/plans.....
1.Would like to pipe and clutch this machine-debating between the stock 800 pipe, rpc twins, or quad pipes. Best bet for the money? Anybody have some?
2. Suspension-This sled has none to speak pf. Debating between 0pro action or trying to find a m-10 used or something.
3.Studs or new track. The track is in decent shape and has never been touched. I always stud my tracks but with all this talk of predetor tracks etc, it might be worth a try. Would need heat exchangers etc. Thoughts?
4.Does anyone have a rear heat exchanger? Found a small leak and it looks like it has a few other repairs already.
5.Any other suggestions? YamieGod3:16?

I,LL ANSWER YA GOING DOWN YOUR LIST :
1. FIRST GO OVER TOO vmax4.com . NOW BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK IS 800 TWINS. HUGE WAKE UP CALL ON 750. BUT REMEBER YOU MUST CHANGE JETS TO 800 SPEC. I HAVE A UPGRADE CLUTCH SET-UP FOR 750, BUT REMEBER HELIX OPTION VERY LOW ON 750. QUADS WILL GIVE YA 20 HORSE. PSI WERE THE BEST, BUT HARD TOO FIND. RPC TWINS AND STOCK 800 PIPES ARE THE SAME. MATTER OF FACT THEIR A COPIE OF THE 800 PIPE.
2. I HATE TOO SEE VMAX 4 WITH A M-10 (nuff said)
3. YOU CAN GO WITH A NICE CAMOPLAST DEEP LUG FOR THAT SLED. IF YA START ADDING HP , YOUR GONNA WANT STUDS.
4 I DO, BUT I HAVE TOO HANG ON TO IT, I RACE TWO VMAX4,s, ya never know.
5. THERE YA HAVE IT !!! 3:16 (yammie tony)

Tony-
Thanks for the info-My old one had rpc twins and that woke it up so I will search for a set of 800 stock pipes. I plan on bidding on an RX-1 suspention today. I am interested in the upgrade clutch set up. Will prabably start by just studding this track for now as there are no tears etc, it must have been replaced. So looking for clutch, heat exchanger, and will have to find heat exchanger protectors or fab some. Thanks for your advice. I plan on joining 4.com as well. Right now I keep firing it up as these sound awsome, even stock.

Congratulations on the new sled!. I love the old V-Max 4`s too. Never had one but my friend has one and it`s a neat machine.
I rebuilt it this year after a burndown on cylinder nr. 2 last season.

If I were you I think I would have pulled the cylinders/pistons and measured the clearances too see if they are within spec. My friend`s V-Max had around 12500km on the clocks when it burned down.. . However that could have been caused by other things then just normal wear, but the clearance between the piston/cylinder was too big resulting in piston slamming, eventually the piston got beat do death. Didn`t look nice.

On the other hand, 120psi sounds good so maybe you don`t have to worry that much.

V max 4 Upgrades

Congrats on your new toy. The Max 4 is awesome & typically a head turner especially with the quads, a sound all its own plus pretty darn quick for an "old" sled!!

The quads are a great upgrade & a different suspension will make all the difference in the world. Next to the quads, it is the best thing I did to my max.

Now mine is the ST version, but after riding about 350 miles on this conversion, there is NO WAY I would go back to the OEM set up. I used a 04 RX1 set up. Took a fair amount of work & some custom spacers but well worth the effort IMHO.

Like Yammiegod said, 120 psi is darn good, mine is the same with 5500 miles on it. I did not open the motor since I figured it was better to work the pipe & clutching angle. Motor runs dang strong with out opening it up so why screw with that part. I did also convert to the 800 drive line which gives me more clutching options which I am still fine tuning.

Here are some pics how mine turned out. Good luck with yours. If ya need some tips, jump on the Vmax4 .com site. Awesome group for this sled. Could not have done my conversions without that knowledge base over there!!

Rob

Attachments

• PSI Install 3  02.12.07 Vmax4.JPG
    PSI Install 3 02.12.07 Vmax4.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Left Side View 1 02.12.07 Vmax4.JPG
    Left Side View 1 02.12.07 Vmax4.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 800 Drive Line 02.12.07 Vmax4.JPG
    800 Drive Line 02.12.07 Vmax4.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Rear View 1 02.25.07 Vmax4.JPG
    Rear View 1 02.25.07 Vmax4.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 17
  • RS View 1 02.25.07 Vmax4.JPG
    RS View 1 02.25.07 Vmax4.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 21
Racrrob-
Thanks for the insight. I actually purchased an 03 rx-1 suspension yesterday and am taking the hole dimensions of the vmax4 web site to install. I also signed up over there today. I plan on postind a wanted ad for pipes, heat exchanger protectors, and rear heat exchanger next week. I like your long track but in the midwest, studs are the way i have always gone. More on trail and lake riding over here. I can't wait to get this thing into shape for nect season. A lot of people don't know what these things are as the sports popularity seemed to take of in the late 90's. Hoping for all the help I can get to bring this thing back to life. Cracked hood, dented shock towers and blown rear didn't effect my decision. Motor is good and frame is straight. Thanks for the info. Scott

Hey Scott, I agree on the short track for your area. I grew up in WI, we moved to OR in 85. So I know what your riding is.

When ya do the measuring, double-triple check etc. Layout is very important & drilling the pilot holes with out "wandering" is critical.

Here are the pics of my brackets & how my mounting fit in the tunnel.
I discovered that the ST tunnel has some extra bracing not on the 121 tunnel that required me to do some "extra" machining not covered in the other installs. Since my RX1 Skid was 121, it mounted the same. For the 136 I used a Tracks USA extension kit. This thing while not a "powder sled" now works a bunch better in the powder instead of being the "submarine" it used to be!!

Good luck, post some pics as ya go. Its always cool seeing the progress of projects like this!!. Will look for ya over at Vmax4!! You can see the thread of my sled's progress under "let the polishing & mods begin" I also stripped & polished the tunnel, repainted hood side panels, customized the seat just to name a few "mods"

Rob

Attachments

• Left Side Spacer Riveted 02.03.07 Vmax4.JPG
    Left Side Spacer Riveted 02.03.07 Vmax4.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Right Side Spacer Bar Riveted 02.03.07 Vmax4.JPG
    Right Side Spacer Bar Riveted 02.03.07 Vmax4.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Tunnel Overall View with Spacer Bars 02.03.07 TY.JPG
    Tunnel Overall View with Spacer Bars 02.03.07 TY.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 16
  • New Front Mount 02.03.07 Vmax4.JPG
    New Front Mount 02.03.07 Vmax4.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 16
PArts are starting to be assembled for this sled. So far picked up 03 RX1 skid, rpc twin pipes with primary and secondary that were set up by Gary at RPC. Also have a heat exchanger and stud protectors on the way. Planning on 192 studs in original track so work will begin soon. Wish list now includes new cans for front tss as they are dented and maybe a seat in the future. I will post some picks on completion.

If I were you I would not stud that original track. It is old, has alot of miles and you are adding some hp there. Congratulations on the purchase, I have 2 of them myself, a 95 and a 97.

I was planning on installing 192 1inch woodys traction master. I should have said original style track as there is no way this is original, it is in very good shape. What other track suggestions do you have? Thanks jminor

things you probably know but:
-these sleds came with a .750
-I have heard that you can run up to a 1" track studded with no rear heat exchanger or tunnel interferance
-I also know someone running a pro-action with a studded 1.25" ripsaw in a vmax4 with no interferance issues and he claims the larger skid allowed him to run the bigger track with no issues.

My .02 would be to go with a 1" fully clipped predator or hacksaw by camoplast, I run a .750 in my 97 but you can't beat a 1" for all around performance

hope this helps.

Last edited:
I agree with jminor.

I went with a 1.250" fully clipped predator.......very happy.
The clearence is close with the stock drivers but works well to date.
Got 350 miles on it since the conversion... very happy to date.

Now mind you I am riding on more powder/boon docking & some powder/packed trails & zero ice so, have never run pics/studs here in the Cascades.

Back