New here, Need advice

getitcheap

Hello Im new here and dont know if I should post these questions in tech Q's or if thats just for sleds. So here it is.

I bought a 95 yzf600r with no second gear, but it looks great and I got it cheap ($1000). I took the engine apart and found the second gear shift fork was chewed up on the side, along with the side of the gear it moves. Also the engaging teeth on the side of the gear are rounded off.

My questions are, does anyone know why it does this? (shifting without clutch?, or to much weight on bike?). And the other gear on the output shaft (sproket shaft) has alittle rounding on the engaging teeth but no problems holding gear, should I replace it?

Thanks for any Help

Its caused by dumping the clutch to pop a wheelie.happens all the time on bikes.Its your call on other gear.If you have it apart and its cheap miswell do it.Better hurry up warm weather is on the way.

richierich said:
Its caused by dumping the clutch to pop a wheelie.happens all the time on bikes.

bingo, especially for second gear. clutch/gearbox abuse is responsible for this.

good luck tho, often ebay has gearboxes for those for cheap, sometimes under $100 for the whole rotating assembly plus forks.

Junior said:
bingo, especially for second gear. clutch/gearbox abuse is responsible for this.

good luck tho, often ebay has gearboxes for those for cheap, sometimes under $100 for the whole rotating assembly plus forks.

I dissagree with the cause of second gear being tore out. It is caused by not fully engaging second gear while under acceleration. Im sure U have heard guys shifting from first to second and dont quite get it in,"crunch". It round off the dogs between 1st and second. This has been a problem for Yammi 600's all the way through 2002. The 03 R6 was the first year with undercut dogs in second gear, problem solved. U may have to check, Yamaha had updated gearsets for the R6's, I would think they would they would have the same for the older ones too.

cacsrx1 said:
I dissagree with the cause of second gear being tore out. It is caused by not fully engaging second gear while under acceleration. Im sure U have heard guys shifting from first to second and dont quite get it in,"crunch". It round off the dogs between 1st and second. This has been a problem for Yammi 600's all the way through 2002. The 03 R6 was the first year with undercut dogs in second gear, problem solved. U may have to check, Yamaha had updated gearsets for the R6's, I would think they would they would have the same for the older ones too.

i would have to agree buddy of mine did that to he R1 its not the funniest thing to replace

Back