Oil and Fuel Line ID sizes for Ovation

I don't know what the size is, but it is metric and standard U.S. sizes do not fit right. You can get the replacement hoses at a Yamaha dealer and yes they will be somewhat expensive. If anyone knows where metric sized hose can be obtained in bulk, please post.

I put this table together when replacing the fuel lines on my SeaDoo. I hope its useful.

mm to Inches(approximately)
1 mm......1/32"
2 mm......just over 1/16"
3 mm......just over 3/32"
4 mm......just over 1/8"
5 mm......3/16"
6 mm......just under 1/4"
7 mm......just over 1/4"
8 mm......5/16"
9 mm......just under 3/8"
10 mm....just over 3/8"
11 mm....7/16"
12 mm....just under 1/2"
13 mm....just over 1/2"
14 mm....just under 9/16"
15 mm....just under 5/8"
16 mm....5/8"
17 mm....just under 11/16"
18 mm....just under 3/4"

Last edited:
Go to Yamaha and buy OEM hose. Yes it is more expensive than aftermarket but there is a reason. It FITS and it LASTS. You can replace ALL the fuel/oil lines on any Yamaha for less than $50. Yamaha's oil and fuel line are made of different material and shouldn't be mismatched. The oil line is yellow and the fuel line is pink. The ID is right for the fittings and flow and the OD is right for the OEM clamps. If you use aftermarket line with the wrong dimentions you stand a chance of it coming off or limiting fluid flow which could destroy your engine. Yamaha's line is very high quality and will last for many years. I have seen many sleds from other manufacturers where the hose just crumbles when you touch it. Alot of the aftermarket hose is thin walled and not very plyable so it has a tendancy to (kink) under some routing conditions and Yamaha clamps wont fit it. If it's cheap there is a reason for it and it will probably only last for a year or so if your lucky. People spend thousands of dollars buying, building, modifing and restoring there sleds and for some reason get tight and try to save money on fuel/oil line? (I know, I've done it) I've worked on and restored quite a few sleds and tried redoing one with cheap line. It was a MAJOR PIAN and I will never do it again. I was so dissatisfied with the job and how it looked that I went straight to Yamaha, bought the right line and redid it. The extra time it took to put on the aftermarket line more than offset the cost difference between it and OEM. Some may not agree but if you lose an engine or get stuck out in the woods because of cheap line failure you will change your mind.

There are places where you can buy line of the same size and quality as OEM but it is about the same price as OEM unless you buy it in large quantities and the colors are not the same.

Also keep in mind that proper line size and routing can be critical to the operation of the system. Most Yamaha service manuals have routing diagrams in them just for that purpose. If you don't have the manual for your sled pay close attention to routing when you remove the lines and try to put the new ones in the exact same way.
Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

Sounds like you are planning a complete redo. That Ovation was a very fun little sled to ride and will bring good $ if they are nice. I am working on one now that was a beater sled with a bad engine. It is completly dissassembled right now and I'm in the process of stripping the tunnel and bulkhead. When its done it will have a SS440 or an SRV 540 engine in it with a polished tunnel and an 08 black/white 40th paint scheme. I mocked up the engine in the sled before I took it apart and it is going to fit real nice. It wont be hard to make it look like the factory installed it and it should be a real fun little hot rod.
Good Luck Phil (opsled)

P.S. If you need belly pan rivits let me know I have a supplier that can get them for $15 per 100. When I did my Vmax-4 Yamaha wanted 52 cents a piece for the large head black rivits which is redicules. I brought one into my dealer for comparison and we couldn't tell them apart. My dealer is now getting them from the same guy.

I could use more rivets. The Ovation is not the only sled I am working on this summer. I've got a 72 AC Kitty Kat I'm thinking of turning into a Little Z Racer and then mothballing it for when I have grand children or entering in antique snowmo shows.

The Ovation is for my daughter--she wants it Yamaha Blue ala late 90s SRX. She outgrew the Z120 but is too small for adult sized sleds. Do you know where I can get similar metallic electric blue in a spray can? Colorrrite wants $33 per can. It was suppose to be a Bday present this fall but she found it apart in the garage and figured it out.

I picked up the Ovation this past winter from a dealer who was retiring. The original owner never came back to claim it. It has 1200 miles. I probably overpaid for it but its very hard to find sleds in that size that are in good condition. The skid needs the shocks replaced as moisture has taken a toll on them. The sled sat in an overhead covered outside storage for at least 5 years.

You can PM me the source of the rivets. I did buy some from a gentleman in upstate NY that sell vintage snowmobile parts via Ebay.

Felix

Last edited:
I gotta get more rivets anyway so I'll get some extra. If you want some send me a PM with an address and how many you want and I'll let you know how much it would be with shipping. They also have small head, non painted and other colors.
As far as paint goes try finding a PPG dealer in your area (others may also do this). We have one here in town that can custom mix paint and install it in an aerosol can. It's been awhile since I had them do one but I think it was about 11 or 12 bucks a can (probably more now). The last color I had them do was a 69 GMC gold metalic and it actually worked really well.
Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

Back