New Viper Project

srxbully said:
from the first post i thought it sounded kind of wierd.with a 1000cc motor you should be running 4.4-4.5 in 500ft on grass. & you should run better times then that on 660ft ice shouldnt yea??? hope you open her up & take it to the lake & smoke those htg boys.now justin from htg should no how to build that motor.(didnt he work for bender)?

A Prostock 1000 will run between 4.3 and 4.6 depending how good a tuner you are. this was never a pro 1000. More like an improved that should run low5.0 to 4.9. The problem is it you need about 210 to 230 horse power to do that. This motor is poorly designed. It was thrown together by HTG for the AM Snow Shootout in 2001. Not very well thought out when you look at the design.

Justin owns his own place "full power performance". He did in fact used to work for bender.

oh sorry i just assumed prostock when you said you were gonig to run prostock shocks.good luck with the motor.

srxbully said:
oh sorry i just assumed prostock when you said you were gonig to run prostock shocks.good luck with the motor.

No I'm just trying to lighten it up a little bit.

I talked with Don yesterday "great guy". I've decided to Spray it instead of trying to change the entire motor. I just don't have it in me to spend the money to try to get it to make more power Naturally

I bought a NX system from Paul Mag. I got flanges, purge kit, bottle warmer, switches, pingel 2 button, wiring,4 bottles, jets.

The motor should continue to pull 175 with NOS I should be able to add at least 25 per hole. The Motor would put out a solid 225 to 250 hp on the button.

Hey JASON,,, This is the first time I saw this post and I just read all 3 pages!!! I'm truly sorry that you got STUNG on that motor.. I have talked to Don and glad he could help.. WE HAVE talked about nitrous for YEARS and I am glad you are using it to make that HP you need!!!! When I sold my 99 SRX I also gave that guy around 5 GRAND in nitrous stuff!! I knida wish I would have saved that stuff!!!! TALK to DON and ask him about CASE PORTING the nitrous!!! Theres a LOT of different ways to introduce NITROUS and it DEPENDS on WHERE and WHEN and HOW you introduce it into the combustion chamber. DON can help you TREMENDOUSLY!!!!! I was thinking recently (about a minute ago) about some kind of way to measure the acceleration (RPM'S) and if there is some kind of limiter that would shut off the nitrous solenoid if the motor accerates too rapidly (like the loss ofa clutch or a broken belt???).. something like a rev limiter BUT to limit the nitrous imput in the event of a catastrophic event in the drive train???? Sounds like a good idea?????? SEE,,, you guys got me thinking again!!!! ANYWAYS,,, BEST WISHES with your new motor and keep me posted.. Gary Oles nosboy

nosboy said:
Hey JASON,,, This is the first time I saw this post and I just read all 3 pages!!! I'm truly sorry that you got STUNG on that motor.. I have talked to Don and glad he could help.. WE HAVE talked about nitrous for YEARS and I am glad you are using it to make that HP you need!!!! When I sold my 99 SRX I also gave that guy around 5 GRAND in nitrous stuff!! I knida wish I would have saved that stuff!!!! TALK to DON and ask him about CASE PORTING the nitrous!!! Theres a LOT of different ways to introduce NITROUS and it DEPENDS on WHERE and WHEN and HOW you introduce it into the combustion chamber. DON can help you TREMENDOUSLY!!!!! I was thinking recently (about a minute ago) about some kind of way to measure the acceleration (RPM'S) and if there is some kind of limiter that would shut off the nitrous solenoid if the motor accerates too rapidly (like the loss ofa clutch or a broken belt???).. something like a rev limiter BUT to limit the nitrous imput in the event of a catastrophic event in the drive train???? Sounds like a good idea?????? SEE,,, you guys got me thinking again!!!! ANYWAYS,,, BEST WISHES with your new motor and keep me posted.. Gary Oles nosboy

Hey bud What's you number? I'd like to talk NOS with you again.

Well, ok Jason, its your engine and money. I will be glad to help if you want it. I understand your thinking of not spending anymore $$ in it, its hard to spend more when youve spent alot and gone backwards. But its the only way to make it run the way it can or should. I dont think even spraying it will resolve the issues, (might make a real nightmare in fuel flow issues??)as the case is too tight and not allowing flow thru the bottom into the transfer ports and the piston not clearing the exhaust and transfers at BDC is a big flow restriction. I hope I am wrong and it runs for ya, if ya need help dont be afraid to holler. :nos:

Last edited:
mrviper700 said:
Well, ok Jason, its your engine and money. I will be glad to help if you want it. I understand your thinking of not spending anymore $$ in it, its hard to spend more when youve spent alot and gone backwards. But its the only way to make it run the way it can or should. I dont think even spraying it will resolve the issues, (might make a real nightmare in fuel flow issues??)as the case is too tight and not allowing flow thru the bottom into the transfer ports and the piston not clearing the exhaust and transfers at BDC is a big flow restriction. I hope I am wrong and it runs for ya, if ya need help dont be afraid to holler. :nos:

Don I appreciate the offer to help I just don't have it in me. I may have you port the cases to get it to flow better. How quickly can you do that?

I understand about it being not in you, like I said before I have traveled this road before. Youll change your mind later after you "cool" off some in your head, its always hard to accept this kind of diassappointment. Already invested more then average and to reap the benefits will need to invest some more unfortuantely to get it to work and work like its supposed to. I could do a case for you in about a week to 2 weeks right now, but I will need the case and 1 of your cylinders/base gasket to do it. Like I explained we have to devcon the case, cnc machine out the sides for added case volume and then hand port the throat and blend it into the cnc machined center.

If you want to do the case you mise well bring the whole motor, you might be just lucky enough that I can reccomend a piston number to simply swap out the pistons for a better compression height and kill 2 birds with 1 stone, just need to measure your deck, ports and see where your at, it might not be as bad as you think.

I've talked to a few people about case porting my SRX motor (the one I raced on asphalt) and the guy I sold it to DID JUST THAT!!! He gained about 3/4 of a second in the quarter mile and IT REALLY IMPRESSED ME!!!!! That was with a SRX700 motor!!! If that MOTOR is as WACKY as DON says it is,,,,I think CASE PORTING and a set of pistons would be the way to go!!! ASK DON about teflon coating the skirts and ceramic coating the piston tops, head domes and exhaust ports PROVIDING you are going to spray NITROUS!!!! SPRAYING nitrous right into the case has a REAL GOOD EFFECT on the motor compared to spraying it into the reedcage or the carb... I have a 73 CHALLENGER that I bought INDY heads for... I thought it was a "bolt on" thing and in 3 or 4 hours I would have had another 100 horsepower... Needless to say,, it took 3 SETS of pushrods, a COUPLE of BENT VALVES , a NEW SET OF ROCKERS,and a few sets of gaskets BEFORE i got it right!!! This was a BRAND NEW KIT that cost 5 GRAND!!!!The destroyed rockers, pushrods and gaskets were around 1200.00 EXTRA,, so these heads cost 6200.00 out the door!!!! INDY doesnt tell you how to do it and they dont tell you that the intake pushrods have to be .050 LONGER than the exhaust pushrods (WHO EVER HEARD OF THAT????) Needless to say,, AFTER TALKING TO THEM 4 or 5 times on the phone,, they weren't too happy to tell me that they have been selling these SCREWED UP kits for YEARS AND YEARS and people keep buying them.... The RADIUS in the lifter cup doesnt even match up with the radius in the pushrods they give you and I had to use MODELING CLAY to get the proper radius and have SMITH BROTHERS custom make me a set of pushrods!!!! You could FEEL the binding in the lifter cup!!!! The CRAZY thing is that they KNOW it's screwed up and NOT RIGHT,,, but they DON'T do anything about it!!!!! They give you a bag of pushrods(that have the WRONG RADIUS to begin with) and that are 2 inches longer and they DONT EVEN TELL YOU that you have to CUT the pushrod and PRESS the little cup into the pushrod!!! They DONT even tell you the sizes OR the .050 discrepancy!!!!! You can DESTROY a couple of rocker arms (aluminum) and maybe BEND A FEW valves BEFORE you figure it out!!!!! I was READY to THROW those heads through their FRONT WINDOW!!!!! The GOOD NEWS is,,,,, AFTER FIXING their SCREWUPS,, the heads did work GOOD and the 446 mopar motor runs LOW TENS!!! So,,, I suppose you just have to send it to DON and have him WORK HIS MAGIC!!!!! Gary Oles nosboy

Last edited:
I made another 100HP and the REAREND couldn't handle it and it SNAPPED the spider gears. I needed 35 spline axles, a spool, and a set of 4.56 PRO gears... ( $2000.00).. It took 3 MONTHS to get it back together (all of july, august and September) and it was ready around October 1st!!! I took it out and on the second pass,,, I turned the DRIVESHAFT into a PRETZEL!!!! So you see,,,,, HORSEPOWER has it's price!!!!! 100 horsepower cost me around TEN GRAND!!!!! I hope that makes you feel a little better!!!! gary Oles nosboy

On a GOOD NOTE,,, the car NOW runs LOW TENS consistently and it drives like it's BRAND NEW!!! SO,,,, trials and tribulations HAVE THEIR REWARDS!!!!!!! gary Oles nosboy

mrviper700 said:
I understand about it being not in you, like I said before I have traveled this road before. Youll change your mind later after you "cool" off some in your head, its always hard to accept this kind of diassappointment. Already invested more then average and to reap the benefits will need to invest some more unfortuantely to get it to work and work like its supposed to. I could do a case for you in about a week to 2 weeks right now, but I will need the case and 1 of your cylinders/base gasket to do it. Like I explained we have to devcon the case, cnc machine out the sides for added case volume and then hand port the throat and blend it into the cnc machined center.

If you want to do the case you mise well bring the whole motor, you might be just lucky enough that I can reccomend a piston number to simply swap out the pistons for a better compression height and kill 2 birds with 1 stone, just need to measure your deck, ports and see where your at, it might not be as bad as you think.

Don I'm going to get it going this season. I'm going to run it on the dyno with the spray. next spring I'll bring you the motor and the pipes. We'll see what if anything can be done. If I can't get 225 out of the spray this season I'll be heading down sometime in November with it.

you DONT want to spray it if there isn't enough volume in the case OR if there isnt coating on the pistons.. i've seen people spray without any coatings and the results are in the scrapyard!!!! if the MOTOR is apart or if you have time to do it,,, PLEASE do it right!!!

nosboy said:
you DONT want to spray it if there isn't enough volume in the case OR if there isnt coating on the pistons.. i've seen people spray without any coatings and the results are in the scrapyard!!!! if the MOTOR is apart or if you have time to do it,,, PLEASE do it right!!!

I'm panning on shooting it with a 50 shot with a motor that pulls little to know compression with the Viper ignition. Any thoughts

I dont know if that motor can handle a 50 shot??????? I know NOTHING about HTG....

I've talked to Bruce at CB Systems he seems to think it should be good up to a 75hp shot. they run that much on Stockers with no issues

If its the SAME BRUCE that I have talked to ( 2000 srx) He is a WHIZ at nitrous systems!!!! (better than I am!!!),, BE CAREFUL and PLEASE READ THE BOOK!!! Its around here somewhere (I think ejcamaro).. Just post and ask who has the nitrous book.. VERY INFORMATIVE!!!!

Back