1991 V Max 540 info?

Chris

Hey guys , finaly got time to get on here about the V Max , it is a 91 , the guy was full of $#!t Its not ported , looks bone stock to me , not in the best shape , not to bad tho , brand new track on it , 38mm carbs , and the 44s new belts and lots of extras , Paid 1500 canadian , Is that over paid ? And theres a dip stick in the lower end of it , whats it for ? ?

dipstick is for the oil in the waterpump case, the gears for the waterpump are oil soaked/bathed, make sure you keep an eye on the oil for contamination of water in it, if it looks like choclate milk you have leaking water pump seals and it needs to be fixed asap, or it ruins everything inside. Dont ask how I know, just went thru all this on my 81 srx440(same engine pretty much)

as far as the price you paid for it, just depends on how bad you wanted one and what one was worth to YOU.

91 was the last year in canada and ok ,ill keep my eye out for milky color , What kind of oil should i run in it
the guy told me it was a brand new motor , turned out to be the stock motor, and not rebuilt recently like he said , he also said it was ported , it was not , still sleg in the ports , . . .. but 1500 canadian for a 91 isnt to to bad , i figure another 800 to make it back to mint , that includes plastic skis tho

Check out vintagevmax.com it is dedicated to 81-91 SRX and Vmax 540 sleds. The 88-91 Canadian 540's are hard to find so you probably did alright on you buy.
Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
WOW, A 1991 CANADIAN VMAX 540 , NOW THAT BE A COOL SLED TO HAVE. ! 3:16 (yammie tony)

There's a pic of one on the vintagevmax site. Click on Vmax540's link and then click (Models). Preaty cool sleds. There can't be many of the Canadian ones out there. Nice 87's are kinda hard to find here in the states because most guys bought the new Exciter in 87 but 88-91's Canadians would have to be fairly rare. These 2nd generation Yamaha muscle sleds are not as fast as the early SRX's but were much more trail friendly.
Phil (opsled)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
AS USUAL PHIL, YOU ARE RIGHT ON.3:16 (yammie tony)

Hi Tony, I wish someone would tell the wife and kids. Sometimes I think they figure the dog is smarter than me. But they're probably right. LOL!!

Phil (opsled)

How fast are these sleds ? And these Sleds are realy rare in canada even ? The guy lied to me alot so i am going to try and get a little bit of cash back from him , , , And i mean LIED ALOT and it was mainly about the motor so i didnt know till i tore the motor down after i seen it wasnt ported so now i have it apart to get ported

Last edited:
Chris said:
How fast are these sleds ?

Dialed right in stock form they will give alot of newer 600's some real trouble in 500ft drags and radar runs. They are only about 86hp in stock form and weigh about 475 lbs so they are not a high hp featherweight. They were designed as a more trail freindly performance sled but guys on the vintagevmax forum are talking around 90ish in 1000ft which is preaty good for a stock 600. There is alot of room for improvement in the HP catagory and the bare chassie (tunnel/bulkhead) only weighs 50lbs so if you crank one up and put it on a diet they can be nasty. They are very finicky with clutching though. There is alot of info and specs on the vintagevmax forum. There are also some of your felow Canadians on there that could probably help you out with parts and such.
Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

P.S. Pics are of my SRX/Vmax540 mod project I hope to finish one of these years.

Attachments

• 81mod 001.jpg
    81mod 001.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 81mod 002.jpg
    81mod 002.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 81mod 003.jpg
    81mod 003.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 81mod 004.jpg
    81mod 004.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 81mod 005.jpg
    81mod 005.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 5
Well i was talking to Vmax540 , and told him the vin number , MINES THE FIRST ONE OFF THE LINE !! , not the original motor , but it is comeing

And should i put the 44mm carbs on , Make much of a differnce , he said there already jetted for the motor ? and then i might put stingers on the pipes, but not sure yet

Well the guy REALY screwed me over , Not jus the port n and carbs , and studs , and heat gauges , Also the clutch bolt was snaped off and only 1 thread holding , Any advice aboout getting the other peice out , I was thinking a left hand bolt and tap it and try to turn it out Word of advice for any ontario racers , NEVER buy any thing off Steve Laprise , He races polaris TX accorss ontario Hes a lieing peice o Sh!^

Last edited:
Chris was this sled in the super shopper? I might know someone that has a 91 forsale....been in storage for a while.

Chris said:
Well the guy REALY screwed me over , Not jus the port n and carbs , and studs , and heat gauges , Also the clutch bolt was snaped off and only 1 thread holding , Any advice aboout getting the other peice out , I was thinking a left hand bolt and tap it and try to turn it out Word of advice for any ontario racers , NEVER buy any thing off Steve Laprise , He races polaris TX accorss ontario Hes a lieing peice o Sh!^

Hay Chris He might have done you a favor by not porting it , as I have seen some pretty bad port jobs on these things if You don't know what you are doing.If you want to port it go to vintagevmax and get the factory update porting, I have used it in the past and it works very well. If you can't get it there let me know as I have it also and I can send them to you . As for the broken bolt if you are real careful you can drill it out and re-tap it ,I have done this on a few sleds and have had good luck ,the tread is 1/2 by 20 UNF. If all else fails you can put a Heil Coil in it. :2strokes:

So jus drill it out CAREFULLY , to the tap drill size , and run the tap down ? theres a couple threds left that i can start the tap on , Thanks

Hi Chris, CARFUL, CARFUL, CARFUL, proper tools and knowhow are the key for something like this. If you do it right they can sometimes come right out with no problems but a cowboy can screw up your crank for good just as quickly. Take a little punch and a small hammer and try to tap on it in a circular motion to see if it will move. Sometimes they are just snapped off and not tight. If you decide to use a drill make sure you have it dead centered or you may be creating more problems for yourself. There are lots of little tricks to getting broken bolts out of holes but every case is different and it is hard to say what should be done first without seing it. If you have any doubts in your capabilities take it to a good machine shop. They should be able to drill it centered and should have left fluted bits that can sometimes grab the stud and walk it right out. I have a freind that runs one of these types of shops and he says if guys would just bring it to him first most of them would be easy. Instead they try to do it themselves and can turn a simple job into one that can be impossible.

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

Now theres some GOOD advice, if you dont know how to get it out, take it to someone who does, in the end it will be a smaller bill to pay, screw it up and well......lots of $$$$$$$$$$ to fix it.

Back