towing problem

BigRed700

I own a 2004 silverado and I have a trailer lighting issue. When I meter the trailer conection on my truck it works fine but when I hook up a trailer it does not work. I am lost and don't know where to look. If anybody has seen this and could let me know where to look I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks.

Trailer ground

I'd go to the ground on the trailer first. Disconnect, clean and hook it back up. I try again. This would be a first step.

Madmatt

trailer ground

Trailer ground most definitely.
I used to always have the same problem until a freind of mine showed me a trick he does with all the trailers he owns and uses for his business. he goes into the each of the tail lights and hooks up a ground wire to each that is connected directly to the frame of the trailer. he also does this for any trailer that has electric brakes. since doing this I have not had a problem with my lights in five years.

I thought of that too but it didn't work. I have even tried 2 other trailers and still nothing. I even tried the trailors on my friends truck and it works fine on his.
I hate issues like that????????
Thanks for the advice though...

Is the gound on the truck plug good. I ran mine all the way to the battery when I started to have problems and have had no problems since.

The 04 have the 7 pin connector? If so, my 04 does not like the trailer harness jammed all the way in, and dielectric grease helps it too.

Here's another one

I still say it's a ground problem....now it's with your truck. If you have the 7 pin connector crawl under the back of the truck and look at the back side of the connector. You will see here that the wiring harness from the truck actually plugs into the back of the part mounted to the truck. Take it apart in this area. I bet it's all corroded and a mess. Now, clean it all up here and apply die-electric grease to all the connections then put it back together. Good luck & let us know.

Madmatt

When checking the plug on the truck, use the ground plug in the connector as your ground. This will instantly tell you if your ground is bad. Maxdlx

Mine was corroded on the back side of the 7 pin connector, cleaned and greased it and it's been good for 2 years now. Good luck I hate electrial problems.

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to look at it again tonight when I get off work. I'll let you know what I find...
Mike

Buy a new connector. Every other year the conector seems to die inside??? I add a new one and were back in business.

BigRed700 said:
I own a 2004 silverado and I have a trailer lighting issue. When I meter the trailer conection on my truck it works fine but when I hook up a trailer it does not work. I am lost and don't know where to look. If anybody has seen this and could let me know where to look I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks.

Try this link...helped me understand & trouble shoot my issues...good luck, please post back your findings...makes for a good read on a night shift...
http://www.etrailer.com/faq_cbc.aspx

You guys were right. It was a ground issue.
I removed the plug off the back of the connector and there was a bit of corrosion on the ground. I cleaned it off and after putting it all back together it worked fine.
All I have to do now is take the connector off again and coat it well with dialectric grease, and hopefully it won't happen again.
Just as a note, I am going to re-wrap all of the exposed wires right at the connector. They are not wrapped well from the factory.

Thanks for everybodys help.
Mike

Back