Doing some minor work on my Viper..

Looking really great there Kimoaj!

Nice see that you have snow too.

Ike

I cut the third window out of my track with a utility knife and it isn't bad to do but hard on the hands esp. if you slip with the knife. I haven't run mine yet but I got the idea from a guy who has been running his with no problems and he did the same thing with his windows.

ViperXC said:
I cut the third window out of my track with a utility knife and it isn't bad to do but hard on the hands esp. if you slip with the knife. I haven't run mine yet but I got the idea from a guy who has been running his with no problems and he did the same thing with his windows.

There you go, Kimoaj!

Thanks for the info ViperXC! Good to know I won't have to fool around with another track when I get around to doing mine. I think I'll do mine with a router though, can't be fun with a utility knife.

I've opened up windows on two tracks now. Used a utility knife for both of them. Pretty much a two blade job. So far so good. Ran one with stadard drivers and the most recent with extro's.

Ya I did it to go with extros and I found a good deal on a brand new polaris 136x15x1.75 " track.

With the nubs on the inside and the lugs on the outside I decided the knife was the easier way to go.

Last edited:
Hi there guys! Thanks for all the replies!:).

I was suppost to ask about the track windows the other day, but I somehow forgot. So it is possible to cut them out!. I wonder why they make the tracks like that, only makes them heavier. Another thing that has to be done is the track - clips. Each window must be "clipped" , or how I should say it.
So, adding the no-slip wheels will be some work, maybe it`s best to change them in the summer, have to ride when I can since the winter is so short.
We`ll see.

Today after work I went straight to the postoffice and picked up my packet from xsivhp, the spindle looked great, so did the cover. Thank you so much man!!, awesome.

Gees something wierd happened tonight when I got home.
I backed my car up to our house and stopped the engine. Then I heard this fluid-leaking sound. Wtf I thought. I backed my car a little further and then I noticed a huge spot with coolant on the ground.

The engine was totally empty!. I tried to locate the leak but there was coolant everywhere, atleast it didn`t come from the waterpump. So I will have to take a look on that before I start working on the Viper tomorrow.

Wellwell I`ll keep you posted:).

Hi guys!

I guess it`s OK not to run clips in each window if you don`t have alot of ponies under the hood:).

Here`s a few pictures from this weekend, just for fun.

Viperv023Large.jpg

The cover !!

New-used spindle!
Viperv024Large.jpg

Viperv027Large.jpg

Before I started her.. .

Viperv029Large.jpg

After changing the spindle.. .

Then I pulled the primary and checked the drive axle bearing. This is something that I recommend everyone to do, it`s easy to do and it can save you alot of trouble.
Remove the bearing plate and the speedometer-"sprocket", then use a little flat screwdriver to pry the seal out of the bearing. Pry on the outer edge.
My bearing looked OK so I just put some extra grease in there and put the seal back in. If the bearing looks rust/bad then you should loosen the set screws in the bearing and remove the bearing so that you can check it thorougly with your hands. If it`s stuck then try prying with something gently against the drive wheels.
Viperv030Large.jpg

Then I sanded both the primary and secondary sheaves with some (used 800 paper), they say the sheaves grabs the belt better when you do this.. atleast for a little while. Then I cleaned the sheaves with thinner. Also cleaned the engine compartment a little, was full of belt dust.

Then I pulled the carbs just to check them, all of them looked good so I didn`t bother to remove the jets, I just blew through them.

After that I adjusted the toe out/in, it was infact around 6-7cm toe out! GEES!.

At the end of the day I drained the oil out of the chaincase, I let it sit over the night to get out as much old oil as possible.
So today I filled it up with oil and checked the chain tightness. Then I greased the skid and checked all the wheels, looked fine.

Viperv031Large.jpg

Soon ready:).

I was suppost to polish the running boars but I just didn`t have enough time.. so I`ll do that next weekend.

I`ll keep you posted.

Ciao:)

Hi guys! Merry christmas:)
Jul004Large.jpg

A picture of me as I was about to deliver som christmas gifts, normally I use my sled but I had to use my moped due to the lack of snow.. damnit.

Jul016Large.jpg

Sleds parked outside... .

Jul017Large.jpg

Jul018Large.jpg

Notice the bar riser :).

Let`s hope there will be some snow soon I`m going crazy!.

did you figure out what was bad on your cooling system of your car?

Don't feel bad, one of my motor mounts on my Jeep grand cherokee felt like giving out the other day, and since I am off all week for christmas, I can put a new one in.

I hate working on cars in winter, even with a garage.

Hi Horkn :)

Yes I found the problem. The last time I filled cooling liquid in the expansion tank I forgot to put the "lid" back on.
There is suppost to be an over-pressure in the cooling system, this pressure raises the boiling point of the cooling liquid, so when the lid was missing on the expansion tank there was no over-pressure so the boiling point of the cooling liquid was lowered, I drove slow and let the car idle a little before I shut it off, so it was hot.. so then it boiled over!. It took a while before I figured this out but after some testing I found out that there wasn`t any leaks or anything. At first I suspected the head gasket to be blown but that is not the case since the cooling liquid looks fine (not poluted) and the boiling only starts when the engine gets hot (if the head gasket was blown I figure it would have pressurized the cooling system all the time, not only when hot).
So the solution to the problem was to put the lid back on the expansion tank... kind of hilarious.

Sorry to hear about your motormount, I hope it`s not too much of a hassle to replace it. Also I hope your car is old, gees the newer cars are almost impossible to wrench on, no space in the engine compartment! :).
This weekend I`m going to replace both the front shocks of my sisters Mazda 626, a motor mount in my dads skoda pickup and the glowing-pins (if you know what I mean) in my mums 1996 Passat TDI:) so there is always something that needs to be done.

Oh btw I`ve thought about buying a TL1000R when I get my license this summer, but insurance prices made me change my mind. It`s so hard to decide what bike to buy.. .

Gees we need snow.. .

you definately need snow, we need some of your awesome reports lol, we did have 3 feet here but the rain came and took away 2 feet..oh well winter just started, take care

Hi there 92vwgti:) Thanks hehe, yes we de need snow. But, there is some progress. It`s minus 1,5degree outside now, and the weather report said it would be cold weater all week long so.. there is hope :).

Yesterday I spent much of the day in the garage, doing the last final touches on the Viper, here are some pictures. The pictures don`t do the sled justice tho, but anyway.

I decided to polish the running boards because the looked awful.

Jul019Medium.jpg

Jul020Medium.jpg

Jul021Medium.jpg

Tools

After using the drill I hand buffed everything to make sure it became even.
Jul022Medium.jpg

Jul023Medium.jpg

Done.. I think it looks better in real life tho.. but it`s nothing to yell out loud about hehe.

Jul024Medium.jpg

Jul025Medium.jpg

Atleast it`s better then it was.
Jul026Medium.jpg

When I was done with the polishing I checked the track alignment (or what it`s called in english) and adjusted the track deflection. The reverse on my sled was mounted by the previous so the hole in the hood for the reverse lever was way to small. When you put the lever in forward position the hood would lift up, stupid. So I made the hole larger so that the lever doesnt hit the hood. I also lightly polished the exhaust pipe shield and the clutch cover. So now she`s all 100% ready I think.. :).

I`m sorry to hear about your snow 92vwgti, but atleast you have a little snow.. but it must be really frustrating to have such a good amount of snow and then almost everything goes away. Shitty.

The winter/snow/sledding beckens!

Kimoaj,

I admire your work. Thanks for the tip by posting the picture of the drive axle bearing. I greased mine up 2 days ago. There was some grease in there but could of used some fresh stuff. I packed it pretty good with lithium grease.

Your bearing from the picture actually looks pretty dry. What are you doing with the blue and black seat? I really like that viper. Is that a 144X2 track? Hope you gets some snow. I will be in Munising MIchiagn on the 9th to ride with the the boys.

Hi Tomseal6, thanks alot:). Yes the drive axle bearing check is very important and easy to do, we do it on all the sleds that we service in the workshop were I work.
If the bearing looks bad then you can just remove the two set screws on the inside of the bearing (that locks the bearing to the drive shaft) and then gently pry it out from the inside (you can pry against the drive wheel, carefully), you`ll get a better picture of the bearing condition when you have it in your hands and you can clean it and regrease it. Those bearings are pretty expensive!.

I sold the black & blue seat to a guy here in Norway, atleast 10 guys called when I put it out for sale.. so they are wanted here in Norway!.

Yes it`s the 144x2" track!. I had to work today, I thought I had the day off but I was wrong, so I had to go all the way to town just to work a couple of hours, but I saved the day when I bought some new sledding-pants, hehe, I`ve been wanting them for a long time and I decided I had to get them, Halvarsons.. really comfortable and looks good. Well enough chit chat.

Hope you`ll get a nice ride in Munising:).

Hi man!

I`d like to pipe it but I hear so much about the powder bog showing up when piping.. I hated the bog my SRX had.. it`s so annoying not to have 100% consistent power.. .
Elsewise there`s still little snow in Norway... but atleast it`s cold weather so the lakes get frozen. Yesterday I went ice-skating on the lake, I don`t do it often but it was nice. Now I`m checking prices on studded tires for my dirtbike but they are expensive.. would be damn cool to try tho... .

:)

Back