Doing some minor work on my Viper..

Hi guys! Thanks alot for the nice comments on the paint.
However, now you`re in for a huge disappointment.
Thing is I couldn`t afford the pricy two component paint for my spraygun, so I actually used spray cans!. :(:(:(. But this is just an emergency repair, I`ll see how long it lasts and then I`ll get them powdercoated or something.

But, it is "wheel rim paint" so it should last for a while. I painted my old GSX400 with it 4-5 years ago and it still looks allright.

I hope you understand, the apprentice salary isn`t that great. Money counts.

Tomorrow I`ll order the trailingarm stickers and the bushings, if the price is right that is.

For those who wonder, the paint is called "Quick felglakk" , Norwegian brand so I doubt you can find it across the pond.

Today we got the first snow in Norway!. I can still see the grass, but hey, it`s a sign of better days!. :)

LOL... I am still in a T-Shirt during half of the day here!!!

The paint does look really good, nobody is dissappointed that you didn't go with the high end paint... You were smarter to stick with cheaper paint that looks just as good. Nice work on everything so far. Keep it up!

Hi change up!

Gees, still in t-shirt. Now it`s about 10cm of snow here!. I almost can`t believe it!. But I guess it will go away soon.. will probably start raining soon. But now it`s snowing like hell.
I had to hitch hike with my (the guy who I rent my my apartment from) to get to work, havent changed to winter tires on my car yet, about to do that now tho.

Glad you liked the paint, it looks nice, but it`s not the best, but for now it will just have to do.

Today I ordered the trailingarm stickers, the two lower spindle bushings and the iron washers + a few nuts for the radius rods bolts, the previous owner had overtightened them so the spanner made some marks in the nuts when I undid them.

If I`m lucky I`ll have everything on Friday, if the system works, I should. If we order parts before 09.00 in the morning, they arrive around lunch time the next day, all the way from Belgium! Genius:).

Wellwell have a nice day everyone.

Joakim.

Holy crap, most of the dealers in Ontario only get parts twice a week.
That's pretty good service! Keep the posts comin, they are always interesting, as well as your pics.

Hi guys!

SRXer: Yeah I`m impressed by the system, really fast. Although I didn`t place the order correct so my parts didn`t show up on Friday. But we did have the lower trailingarm bushes and the washers in stock, so I got to mount everything. Or atleast that was the plan.

Saturday morning I went down in the shop to start mounting the parts. First I installed the bushings in the trailingarms:

HPIM2910Medium.jpg

HPIM2911Medium.jpg

I somehow managed to forget if the washer was suppost to fit under/over the bushing, but according to the microfiche it`s suppost to fit between the trailingarm/bushing. Funny huh?.

The ski`s looked freakin messy, I can`t believe that this is sled is only 4 years old. The previous owner couldn`t have taken good care of it.
HPIM2912Medium.jpg

HPIM2913Medium.jpg

Became better, but not nice. Look at the bruces.. . I cleaned them with degreaser, then used some steel wool, then polished them roughly.

Now it was time to go outside and start mounting everything. First I wanted to clean all the parts. As i cleaned the spindles I noticed something funny:
HPIM2914Medium.jpg

Gees!. I can`t believe how the previous owner did this.. . The spindle itself is infact bent.. not only the thin metal.. .

I tried bending it back but I didn`t have enough heat. Anyone have a spindle lying around?. I need one!.

It started raining like hell outside so I didn`t bother to mount the other parts since I wouldn`t get to mount everything either way.

So that`s all for now.. if anyone has a spindle they want to sell then PM me or mail me at kimoaj@hotmail.com

Kimoaj! Nice to see you are doing good! Paint looks good but its a bummer about the spindle.

That Polini sticker on the wall in your shop caught my eye... did you buy a big bore cylinder kit for something?

I have an old Sachs moped and have checked out a lot of performance parts for it and other brands of mopeds. Puch, Garelli, Batavus, Motobecane, Peugeot, Tomos, etc.

Hi guys!

SX700triple: Yeah, the spindel was a bummer and it delays the project, hehe.
About the Polini sticker, I got a big bore cylinder for my 1986 Honda PX50 scooter, also got a Polini pipe for it a few years later.. .
I`ve been wrenching on alot of mopeds, most of them had bigbore cylinders. Are you having trouble finding a bigbore for your sachs?.

Here`s a little update on the Viper.

Yesterday it rained like freakin hell. Been raining all weekend. But I wanted to finish mounting the frontsuspension (minus the left spindle). First I put the stickers on the trailingarms, then I mounted them.

HPIM2915Medium.jpg

It`s a little off.. should be more against the lower edge, but it looks ok. (I did shoot a picture of it before I removed the old decal, but I forgot to bring the picture with me home).

HPIM2916Medium.jpg

HPIM2917Medium.jpg

HPIM2918Medium.jpg

Then I removed the rear bumper, I figured the thin metal rod that goes between the bumper, didn`t serve a purpose so I removed it.

HPIM2919Medium.jpg

First I sanded the bumper, then I polished the lower support "rod" , then masked off the support rod and primed/painted the bumper.

HPIM2921Medium.jpg

Then I started polishing the hood, the paint is really dull and faded.. dunno what the previous owner did to this sled.. abused !.

Wellwell I`ll keep you posted!.

Again, awesome thread you have here Kimoaj! Nice to see that you take care of that Viper.

Keep us posted!

Ike

Wow! those trailing arms look awesome with the stickers on!

Kimoaj- I'm having a very hard time finding a big bore for my sachs. It's next to impossible to find them in the US.

I've already got a Bi- turbo exhaust and a dellorto 15 mm carburator

Hi guys!

Sorry for the late reply, been somewhat busy week:).

JeepTherapy: Ain`t the bumper/hitch setup pretty stock?.

Kinger: I traded my 04mod MINT RX Warrior with only 2800kilometers on the clocks for the Viper, I did get 1900$ between.
After having major snow issues with my previous SRX I got all fanatic and wanted a fourstroke. I didn`t realize that I had bought a lake runner before it was to late, so after having owned the Warrior for 2 days I put it out for sale. Sounds stupid but that`s just the way it is. After a few months this guy from Northern Norway called, a sapmi guy. He said had a 2003 Viper Mountain that was 99% mint. It sounded very interesting so we decided to meet and swap sleds.

I`m pretty picky when it comes to keeping things in good shape, but if someone sais a sled is 99% mint, I expect it to be almost perfect.

Here`s the list:
Trailing arm had been bent, an angle iron was welded onto the bent area. No paint on the repair, looked awful.
Trailing arms full of scratches, radius rods didn`t look nice either.
Right side panel below hood full of scratches.
Bumper full og scratches.
One hole in the seat, very visible.
The black plastic thing that is to be fitted between the headlights was missing.
One of the PW cables was missing an inch isolation.
Hood was full of scratches. Paint really faded and dull looking.
And so on.. .

This is not 99% mint.. you agree?.

Ike: Thanks man, appreciate it:).

SX700triple: Nice to hear that you think the trailingarms turned out OK:).
Give me some more specs on your Sachs and I`ll do some research here in Norway.. there are some shops that have a pretty decent selection of big bore cylinders.

As for the Viper I`m still waiting for the new spindle to show up. Tomorrow I will mount the rear bumper and maybe polish the tunnel/hood.

I actually still havent decided what to do with the hood, seems like the paint`s shape is beyond rubbing/polishing, so a respray is tempting.. but expensive.
We`ll see.. .

Yesterday I attended a Yamaha training course in Alta, in Northern Norway. We left Wednesday around 2 am, came to Alta around 10 am. The course started 09.00 pm, lasted til 17.00am. (dood I`m not sure if I`m using PM/AM right, I hope so).
It was really cool, we got an introdution on the Nytro, how to service it etc. We also learned about the technical updates on the 07 Phazer. After some theory we went in the workshop to practice a little, cool.
Man that shop up there (T.K Motor) had lots of sleds for sale, I found 4 V-Max 600 XT`s, I had one before so it was funny to see four of them parked together.

Wellwell I`ll keep you posted on the Viper :)

Here is what the stock bumper looks like on my 04. Not sure if the mnt vipers are different. Mine is just a little wimpy thing...

DSC06009.JPG

I recall back when he made the trade. I think he wasn't real happy with it when he saw it but felt pretty commited.

BTW, I wouldn't have called that sled mint by any definition of the word. But I am sure by the time you are done with it, it will be. :)

Hi guys!

SX700Triple: Aha, I will have a look!. But I must say that "Prima" didn`t sound familiar, but we`ll see.

Jeeptherapy: Like Crewchief47 sais, I have the accessory tow bumper, it`s a "stock" Yamaha bumber, I actually find it funny that the previous owner didn`t make one since he didn`t care about the looks.. .

Silversnow: Yes I did.. . Thing is, we had agreed that I would get 2300$ between, but when we met ,the guy only brought 1500$. That`s ****ing lame. He was a grown up guy with probably much more cash then me, I was just 21 years old. (22now, hehe).
After arguing for 2,5 hours, I managed to get 1900$ and an aftermarked canister.
So I accepted the deal since no one else had called on the Warrior, I was desperate to get another sled and I wanted to have a happy end of the season.
I was pretty mad that day, I had borrowed a trailer and made a friend drive all the way up there, around 2,5hours one way, and then the Viper looked like crap.. wellwell shit happens.

Jeeptherapy: Yes your right, I felt kind of commited to make the trade:). Man you remember well! :).

Today I mounted the bumper, turned out pretty nice. Then I continued to polish the hood with a polishing machine, it got much nicer then it was, but still far from perfect.
My head sais respray but my wallet sais not to.
I think I will try to find some touchup paint to fill in the scratches and then just accept that it`s not perfect.

I`ve started thinking about performance, like, when you climb a hill and go as high up as you can, keeping the throttle pinned all the way, what is the best mod you can do to make it climb higher?. I`m not thinking of a longer track.. .
Change the chaincase gearing?. Clutch gearing?.
I guess more track speed equals more snow removal which then again makes the sled move forward, but I guess the engine has to manage to keep the rews up when you climb a steep hill.. . So I guess a higher chaincase gearing ain`t the way to go.

Any ideas?.

Wellwell have a nice saturday evening everyone:).

Back