moisture in goggles

nodoo_s

when i ride hard my goggles never fog or have any issues. but i notice that some moisture will build up because of me sweating. my problem is when i stop and sit for a minute, then my goggles will start to fog up a little. If i take my goggles off the moisture freezes and then i have to fight with them all day. or use my spares. i sure someone has some suggestion to help with this.

I have had the same issues many times and I have not figured out a solution to the problem. What I have figured out though is that when we stop and take short breaks I take my goggles and set them on top of my engine/carbs and close the hood for about 10 minutes and the heat dries them out. Just make sure nothing is touching the exhaust or it will melt. Someone may have a better recommendation and then we would both learn something.

shortstop, i use the quick straps and to answer your question, no it doenst help. but they are nice.

151viper, i have tried that too, sometimes if its not to cold out it works and sometimes not.

When playing in the powder there is no way around it. Just carry two pairs. Even trail riding I carry an extra set.

what about drilling a series of 1/8" holes across the top right next to the frame, to let the hot air/moisture escape. With some little bit of airflow it will prevent it from fogging and getting damp from your seat, this is the way some of the anti fog helmets are, some are double sheilded also.

I have a single lense pair of goggles. Will the holes work for me? I have this problem all the time. And i also wear glasses under the goggles.

if they are single lens it works good, I used to do this when I raced dirtbikes in the fall, it was always damp and wet, cold and this cured the problem. I guess I didnt see where he posted he had dual lens goggles?

yeah, i always carry an extra set but it we hit good riding at the beginning it doesnt take long to work up a sweat, then i'm into the spares fairly quick.

IMO, double lenses are the only way to go. I have always had trouble with single lenses fogging up badly.

I also put mine under the hood. I usually set my whole helmet on the air box and let the hood sit on top of it.

Another thought, my SLP highflows let quite a bit of heat come up through them. I like to set my gloves on them when stopped, they are usually warm when I put them back on. Maybe have to try sitting the goggles on one of them and see how it works.

I use Pro-vue perscription goggles with Smith turbo fan frames. They have the fan in them. For mountain riding (lots of sweating) they work the best for me. They still will for fog up in poor weather at times, however they do clear up pretty quick when the fan is switched on.
They're kind of spendy, but it's worth it to be able to see better!

I don't know if the following is true but I believe it. Here's the story. When my riding group began mountian riding, we were all standard track, leather suit riders. During a week long ride, suits would get heavier and boots were always wet, eveybody's shield fogged but nobody cared or gave it much thought. Kind of "it is what it is, pass the rum". I got to know a mountain X country skier who has a small shop in Cooke City, Bill's Bike Shack. This was before anyone had an avalanche beacon so we we renting them from him. He could not believe we were still wearing cotton and laughed out loud at our leather suits. I started listening to him and his explanations of moisture and core heat management and soon after began shopping for Gortex clothing that would work on a sled. I purchased a jacket, bibs and 200 weight fleece midlayer from MEC, a X country specialty supplier in Canada. The gortex shell and bib pants were designed for mountain climbing so of course I was the laughing stock of the group but that suit worked. On each trip to Cooke City, we would ride to Top of the World. It's 35 miles of groomed very fast riding. WOT corners but you have to work at it. For those of you who know the area, we would stay on the road until we reached the clubhouse, then go south in the meadows and finally stop on the shore of a small lake. Smoke break. I was always soaked and heated when we arrived and I always ended up with a chill from that break. The first time I did that ride wearing the new geek suit (as it came to be called by my friends), I arrived dry, enjoyed the break and did not get chilled. Proved to me I was on the right track. Looked very geeky but I was finally dry. Interesting that my fogging issues were greatly reduced. So heres my theory. I ended up believing that all the moisture generated by riding needs to get out and if you are wearing a suit that does not breath, it will try to get out through the neck hole of your suit. And in the process, it will expose your eyewear to a whole bunch of moisture. So, IMO, the solution is in using the right equipment. Manage all the moisture generated by wearing the right stuff like gortex Klim, open pit and back vents on your outer layer to really increase the drying effect and you will minimize the fogging of your eyewear. Then use the available technologies to deal with whats left, like fan googles. One more thing. Whatever you do, don't wear cotton. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Back