Need some advice

triplefastaction

I've been riding for a long time, but I'm pretty new on mountain riding. I currently own a '97 MM 700. I've been looking a putting a 151 under it, but I've also been kicking around the idea of buying a 2000 or newer MM. I've seen some with a 141 or 144" track. What are your thoughts on the 141's and 144's? Am I better off relocating the skid and putting a 151 under my '97? How do the Mountain Vipers perform vs. the MM's? Thanks for any feedback.

The Viper has more HP also they handle different because the Viper does not have a sway bar. You will notice it right away, if you have not removed yours, since you have been riding a MM. :2strokes: :letitsnow

i believe you have a 136" skid with the W arm design....both the 2000+mm and mtn. viper use an H arm type skid that is specifically designed for a soft approach angle and is night and day difference in flotation...it is possible to use a relocation template to move the w arm farther back in the skid you have, then use rail extensions to reach a longer track length, this will help, but not totally eliminate the "short track" design and characteristics of your skid.

I'm looking at a used Ekholm skid that will take a 151 or 156" track in my MM. Would this be similar to the 2000+ design as far as approach angle? Thanks for you help.

Well, my advice would be to go with the 151...or even the 156. I have a Mnt. Viper with the stock 144, and it WILL get stretched longer one of these seasons. There is no comparison to track on the ground when it comes to deep powder and climbing. A friend of mine has a summit 800 that came as a 144. I was able to get around slightly better than him when his summit was stock. He then stretched his to a 151, which required him to gear down two teeth. There was no comparison after that. It was amazing how much difference it made, especially hill climbing.

It will take some getting used to, but once you ride it a while you'll love it. If you went to just a 144, in a season or two you'll probably want more. Might as well just spend the $$ once and be done with it. It was about two seasons for me (I went to the 144 from a 121), and I wanted more track.

This is just my opinion of course, but if you are wanting to do some serious deep powder riding and climbing, the more track the better. When the snow is marginal it kinda sucks, because they are terrible on the trail. Limiter straps all the way loose and that much track on the ground...all it wants to do when you hit the gas is go in a straight line. But off the trail....:WayCool:

Lashcat said:
The Viper has more HP also they handle different because the Viper does not have a sway bar. You will notice it right away, if you have not removed yours, since you have been riding a MM. :2strokes: :letitsnow

This is also very true. My cousin has a 98 Mountain SRX. He said the best thing he ever did to it is remove the sway bar.

I would agree with AK, I think if you can find a 2005 or 05 Mountain Viper buy it!
my track mods
2002 121"
2004 136 x 15 x1-1/2
2007 144 x 16 x 2

Is there one year better than the others on the Mountain Vipers? I found a 2003 with 1300 miles and $6500 worth of add ons.

Back