Gears and Chain

Tombis

Anyone know if the gears and chains sold by Royal Distributing are any good?
I was quoted by my local Yamaha dealer $88.00 for the top sprocket and $90.00 for the Chain.
Seems too much to me

I like Yamaha genuine parts but not at that cost

Tom

My Exciter SX didn't like the aftermarket chain my dealer had, pitch was off so much I couldn't even re-assemble it. Ended up with the OEM.

Last edited:
Picked up a top sprocket from MPI for my MM this fall. Can't remember the exact price but it was around $20 and when it showed up it ended up being a genuine Yamaha sprocket.

2ooosrx said:
What gear do you need? The price for upper are $19.95 to $17.95 and the lower are $45.95 to $47.95. The chain is $38.00, all the parts are OEM. Plus shipping
Bruce

I am looking for a 20 tooth top sprocket a 40 tooth bottom sprocket and a 68 link chain. All in 13 wide for my 2001 mountain max 700.

The question is do you ship to Canada and approx how much to Kelowna B.C. V1P 1K8

Thanks

Tom

Bruce is probably aware of this but I would suggest USPS. You'll get dinged for taxes and a 5 or 7 dollar brokerage fee. (used to be 5 but I think it's 7 now). It may get delayed at the border but better that than the $40+ fee from ups.

i have a little question, my buddy is longtracking his srx 600 to a 141 x 2 inch paddles..do you think he should change his gearing?if so what exactly would he need and would he have to change his chain? oh and also i think the srx stock has 9 tooth sprockets if im right...if he goes to a 2 inch paddle does he have to put 8 teeth on or is 9 good?
i didnt mean to hijack the thread lol
thanks

92vwgti said:
i have a little question, my buddy is longtracking his srx 600 to a 141 x 2 inch paddles..do you think he should change his gearing?if so what exactly would he need and would he have to change his chain? oh and also i think the srx stock has 9 tooth sprockets if im right...if he goes to a 2 inch paddle does he have to put 8 teeth on or is 9 good?
i didnt mean to hijack the thread lol
thanks
Yes, regear it will work much better and keep your clutches much cooler.You want to be somewhere in the area of 1.95 ratio with that track.Go to the technical pages and look at the gearing chart, its very helpful and will show you the different combo's and what works with what as far as chains and gears go.

Tombis said:
Anyone know if the gears and chains sold by Royal Distributing are any good?
I was quoted by my local Yamaha dealer $88.00 for the top sprocket and $90.00 for the Chain.
Seems too much to me

I like Yamaha genuine parts but not at that cost

Tom
I've used Royal's stuff without problem.

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the folks who've experienced poor results with after market stuff were mixing new with old. Gears and chains wear into each other like much like pistons and cylinders. If you take apart a chain case that has 3000 miles on it and drop in a new top gear, it’s going to mesh with the chain just fine, but it’s going to wear a lot faster because the chain is stretched. Likewise the new sprocket is going to cause increased wear on the chain because it’s not broken in. Best part is after it all goes for a crap you blame it on the aftermarket part and switch back to OEM. Of course it works just fine because you had to replaces everything after it all got chewed to crap.

Anyway, you get the point. All this stuff should be changed as a set. You wouldn’t take the PTO cylinder out of that motor with 3K on it and through it in to the MAG side (rings and all) would ya? Maybe this isn't such a good parallel, but I wouldn't do it.

I think you might need the 8 tooth drivers for the 2 " paddles
most guys with mountain sleds are geared @ 2.25 (20 top 40 bottom 8 tooth@12%)
last year with the 9 tooth drivers I ran a 19/41 gears

Back