Phazer II - Help me decide

Four Paws

Hey guys, I'm new here and could use a little advice. I am a gearhead by nature and can't turn down a project. I have a V-max 4 and am thinking of getting a sled for my wife. My Uncle had a Phazer back in the day and I remember how fond he was of it. I am looking at 2 1991 Phazer II's locally, both under $1000, low miles, nice shape. I have 3 questions.

Should I buy one, or stay away from them and look for a newer/different machine?

Any bolt-in suspension upgrades that I can do for a reasonably affordable price? I did a quick search, but didn't find any bolt-in skid swaps from newer sleds.

Any other advice you can give me - what to look for, why I should/shouldn't buy one, etc. etc.

Thanks, Josh

I bought a 1996 phazer II for my girlfriend 2 years ago. She seems to like it. One thing about the those sleds is they last forever without much work. It has plenty of power and is a light, fun sled to rip around on. For the price, I don't think there is a better sled for a novice snowmobiler. As far as suspension mods, I don't know what can be done other than putting a long track from a mountain light in it. The best motor mod is a aftermarket pipe. They are a really solid and really bullet proof. I say go for it!!!! Just my .02 cents!!

they were great, but the stearing is fairly expensive to tighten up, the rob bearings go about 7000 mls,the rearend would *** slap you in the ruff stuff because they were so light. we still play around on them some nights because you can throw them around in the corners and they excelerate great on short straights. the exciters of that time rode better because the weighed more and the motors seemed to last longer. they are about the same $ now, i would get the exciter if i had the choice.

Thanks guys! If things work out, I will probably pick one up. Light, quick and nimble is important...as is a low price.

Well, I went and looked at them. One is very clean, mint hood, electric start, all original, has the factory tool kit even! 2600 mi, brand new cover, $900. The only thing is, the track is original and looks like an asphalt track! HAHAHA. Probably going to go for it unless you guys talk me out of it.

Been searching the forums over the last few days. Already got the bug to modify it. Sounds like I need:

Boysen Reeds, Aaen can pipe with the SX piston mod, some larger carbs, a torque arm, and a better track.

As far as a track - I want to long track it as I live in Idaho and there is plenty of deep snow and steep hills to play on. I have a new 136x2 Camoplast track, but from reading here, that might be too much for the sled. What do you guys think - run the 136x2 and drop to 7 tooth drivers, or stay with 8's and buy a 136x1-1.25?

Thanks for the help! Josh

Back