srx mountain questions

jones5s

ok so i am in the process of switching my 99 SRX600 in a mountain sled. i am going from 9 tooth sprockets to 8 tooth so i can put on a 141 with 2 inch pallets. now do i have to change the entire sprocket set up? i am not sure how that all works and i odnt know what i need to buy.

for gearing the srx is stock with 23/39 with a 70 link chain at a 15 pitch (i think) i was going to just change the 23 gear to a 22 gear but would that be good enough to do some powder or should i go lower such like a mountain max which has a 19/39 gears with a 68 link chain at a 13 pitch.

thats it for now im sure ill be asking alot more questions when i finally get all the parts and attempt to tackle this project in a couple weeks heheh
thank you all for the help :winterrul yrules:

Changing from 9 tooth to 8 tooth drivers will drop your gearing a lot; no need to drop it any more. You must change all 4 drivers on the driveshaft from 9 to 8,s.

will it clear the 2in lugs with the 8 tooth? i too will be doing a moutnain conversion next summer on a 2000 SRX 7

There used to be a chart on the MPI web site. It showed the gears needed for different ratios specific to the number of teeth on the drivers. I was unable to find the chart. Maybe someone else has it of knows where to find it. When I was building sleds I spent a lot of time asking questions and listening to opinions about gear ratios on mountain sleds. I ended up liking what I heard from and old guy at Hi Tech clutches. He was the only person to ask my weight, mods to my SRX, track length and normal riding altitude. He recommended a really short gear ratio, claiming that it would cause more of a tendancy for the clutches to shift all the way out. He claimed that the secret was in getting the trans to run cool. So, I used a black marker and made a couple of radial lines on each clutch, then checked at the end of the day to see how much black mark removal had occured at the high gear end of the clutches. I was ridding with a dealer who had brought a variety pack of gears so it was easy to pull the pipes, roll the sled on its side, pull the cover and change the gears. I kept at it until the clutchs began to show more even black mark wear. Ended up with 19:42 with 9 tooth drivers I think. I also think the 70 link chain worked. Interesting that I could hold my bare hand on the clutches anytime I wanted. He was right about the heating thing. To get the same ratio at the track with 8 tooth, of course the gears would change. For that you need the chart or someone smarter than me. Hope this helps you.

I would go to 20/40, 8 tooth non-ratchet drivers and a 151 track. If you weigh more than 190# go lower on gearing. If you are planning on riding the Mtn's any gearing that allows you to go over 80 mph is a waste IMO.

Last edited:
yeah the lower gearing would be the best way to go if all i did was mountain riding but this is the first year i'm getting into it so i will still be doing a lot of trail riding thats why i was thinknig of going with just one gear down srom stock i would put a 22 instead of 23 so it would be 22/39 anti-ratchet sprockets 8 tooth and im slaping on a 141 track. but i can only get this done later on in the season due to financial problems hehe.

and for anyone in quebec canada i am going to be in mont-valin this weekend for a ride and to see the snow-cross competitions. hope to see a lot of people there. woo! :letitsnow

I'm running 21/40 with about 160 hp, weigh 190 with gear on. Only get beat on long lake drags. I still hit about 87 mph. Which is fast enough on a trail to scare the crap out of me. Climbs really good for a 151" track. I'm assuming that you will be about 130 hp, that's why I thought 20/40 would do you well.

Last edited:
hmm sounds very interesting, now with a 20/40 what link chain will i need? can i keep the stock 70 link or would i have to go down to a 68? and this weekend in mont valin (which was amazing by the way, crazy amounts of snow woo!) i was riding my friends srx mountain with mountain max gearing and set up and i loved the ride, trail and off. there are way too many options in longtracking.

I can not remember how many links, sorry. :dunno:
Some things to remember are, off trail does not mean always hill climbing.
Working up hill through the trees requires low gearing, then when you bust out into the open staring at a BIG hill and need to nail it, you will love the low gearing. If you do less trails more off trail and hill climbing you will want to add more twist to your secondary so it back shifts faster when hill climbing.
Try 6 / 3 for 90 degrees to start with.

Last edited:
Go to the MPI gearing charts that nben provided. Scroll all the way to the bottm and you will find a chart showing the chain needed for different gear combinations. BTW, 20/40 needs a 68 link chain. 21/20 uses a 70 link.

catskinner said:
will it clear the 2in lugs with the 8 tooth? i too will be doing a moutnain conversion next summer on a 2000 SRX 7
2" track will fit with the 8T drivers but you will have to take off the front heat exchanger protectors. Just did my 99 SRX with 151" x 2" finger track, 8T whal bros. no-slips, 21/42 gears

Back