78' 340B exciter

VinYammy

Is this sled something to be wanted? from what i can tell wasn't mmade very long and probably less common then the SRX sleds. I don't know, just a 440 under bored for something. Any opinions?

dude i had the most fun on this same sled, virtually bullitproof! i abused that poor sled and it kept coming back for more! beat a lot of 440's back in the day with that sled! 38hp. man them were the days!if it is decent shape you should snag it. just my two cents

I have one in pretty good shape, a 78' as well. It is a very surprising sled. People say the Enticers are good for 340 fans wait until you see one of these go! I was told they are lower production than the SRX's and 78' was the last year for the 340. There's no reed valves on the engine but it is still an SS-338 engine. I think it's ported very similarly to the GPX-338 engine with maybe a little bit narrower exhaust ports.

well, it's been sitting in my nieghbors yard for 6yrs and the only way I saw it was the handle bars. He said it ran when he parked it. It's covered in cattails. The motors not stuck and the carb doesn't have green crap on the needle. Can't decide if I want it for parts or another project I need just as much as a hole in the head!!!!!

340 Exciters are much harder to find than 440's but I don't know how their production #'s compare to certian SRX models. I would be almost certian that 76 and 77 SRX's would be more rare than any 340 Exciter but that may not be true for 78-80 SRX's. I would think that the 78 Exciter 340 would be the rarest of the 340 Exciters but I am not sure. I do know that I have seen very few of them in comparison to the 76-77 340. 78 was also the first year for the Enticer 340 so the 340 Exciter had direct compatition from another Yamaha and was due to be phased out so it's production #'s were likely low. They are quite desirable for vintage oval racing and do very well in their class.

opsled

What would the competiton be in 340 other than Jets? My GPX 338 smoked everything! Does anyone know if the 76 STX was the same power wise as the Exciters? I know where there is an STX 340 and it has reeds. G.

340 Rupp nitro 2 1974 and 1975 and merc trail twister 340
both with a Kohler motor will give the Exciters a run.

THE 340 EXCITER IS A NEAT SLED. MY GUESS IS THEY ARE PRETTY RARE. BASISLY WHY BUY A 340 EXCITER WHEN YA COULD OF GOT THE 440. YAMAHA BEEN KNOW TO THIS WITH THEIR MODELS FOR A FEW YEARS AND THAN DROP IT BUT KEEP THAT MODEL GOING. would of been cool if they made a 600 vmax 4.
340 SRX
340 EXCITER
600 SRX. !! 3:16 (yammie tony)

VinYammy - if you decide to pass, let me know as I may be intrested. Mom and Dad had matching 76' exciter 340 and 440's. I recall the 340 would be about a sled length ahead of the 440 till about 60mph. Then the 340 was running out of legs fast!

I have a 340 enticer set up for snovals and only touched the ice once last year. now I have a srx440 and want to get that on the ice too. with this 78 340B I'd think to have a little more go then the enticer,& without getting modded up with the srx.....i don't know what I want???someone help me with my addiction!!!!!!

VinYammy said:
I have a 340 enticer set up for snovals and only touched the ice once last year. now I have a srx440 and want to get that on the ice too. with this 78 340B I'd think to have a little more go then the enticer,& without getting modded up with the srx.....i don't know what I want???someone help me with my addiction!!!!!!

I hear you....I have a '72 GP292; '73 SR292; '87 et300; '84 vmax540 oval sleds

One pitfall you will see is the carb intake boot. I had to custom fabricate a carb boot from a 2 bolt, 44mm flange (what the 440 EX uses) and 1/8 inch aluminum plate. It's easier to mod the 340 with twin carbs too! With the 440 you need the old seperate 74' 433 reed manifolds or else you have to start some custom work.

bringing back this old thread. i thought the 76 was the only year for the 340 exciters. also, im reading the 340 was a piston port. anyone got any pics of the enine. thanks....

Snojet Steve said:
One pitfall you will see is the carb intake boot. I had to custom fabricate a carb boot from a 2 bolt, 44mm flange (what the 440 EX uses) and 1/8 inch aluminum plate. It's easier to mod the 340 with twin carbs too! With the 440 you need the old seperate 74' 433 reed manifolds or else you have to start some custom work.

also what model 433 with the seperate reed manifolds do we look for when changing to twin carbs on the 440.

i was going to use phazers but the hole pattern is different. thanks.....

Back