Anyone ever put the srx 700 engine in a 97 former 600 twin chassis?

97srxXT

My engine needs to be rebuilt. Second time doing it, this engine sucks. Sled is nice and I got a great price on it and its an Xt. IF I got a great deal on an Srx 700 engine, would it bolt up no probs? Looks like it would and the chassis look the same, just not sure about the bulkhead. If I have to change that its not worth it to me. BUT if I could score a srx engine and it would fit with no probs I might consider it and talk about a sleeper!!!

Thanks,
Nick

I thought the srx 700 engine and the sx 700 bolted in the same way? Guess I was wrong somone else said the bulkhead is different and the bellypan is narrower on mine. Guess that is the only option then. Is this pretty straight forward? Just have to get the different air box and electronics along with the obvious? I just don't want to get into changing the bulkhead, not worth it.

Thanks,
Nick

a guy from overseas did the sx700r swap into a sx500r body. he has the whole thing posted in here. might want to tru a search on that. he was asking cooler questions to start the thread i think. been too long for my memory.

Lots of work, we've done this several times, you have to change the bulkhead, and modify the cooling system, then you have to use aftemarket pipes and modify them just a little. Mine has Bender pipes in it and they clear the hood, but those were a pain in the...., AAEN pipes are smaller and much easier to work with. But it can be done, if you want to make a sleeper that bad.

It would be much easier to install a 700SX engine, bolts in and all you have to do is add the rear heat exchanger.

With either project you'll need the complete wiring also.

The coolers are different, they have larger passages in the srx, there are I think 3 different styles of them. When I do this for someone it's easier to take an srx and change the bodywork rather than the other way around, but if you have the time and the sled go for it.

Back